White 2GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adamatic521, Jan 11, 2010.

1. adamatic521 macrumors newbie

I have a 2GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook and I am having a few issues.

First:
    Last week, I woke my computer from its sleep mode and the screen was black. The Superdrive spun up and the volume buttons responded however the screen was black. I know that when the backlight is not on it is difficult to see the screen and it appears black so I made sure to check and the screen was not on at all, no backlight, no image (even a dark one) at all. After I restarted the screen came back on however, I have noticed that when I use my computer and it is not on a desk, as I type the screen appears to dim slightly any time the screen moves (i.e. when I am typing, any time I press a key, the screen flickers slightly).

Second:
    Last night, I had my phone (Blackberry) plugged in to my computer to charge and the computer was plugged in to the wall. Everything was fine however suddenly my computer went to sleep. I pressed the spacebar to wake it and after waking and initially spinning up the Superdrive, it immediately went back to sleep. I did the same thing four times before I decided to go to sleep. It is not an issue today, however, I am concerned that these are two major problems in about one week.

Third:
    My computer heats up very significantly under the top left part of the keyboard. At times it becomes uncomfortably warm and the fan spins at its highest speed. Any ideas?

Fourth and possibly related to the third issue:
    Can anybody offer updates on the "Apple whine" issue. I have brought my computer in several times and they have sent it out and found nothing but there is a constant whine coming from the same location as the heat mentioned above when the computer is idling. I know it is an issue that Apple has acknowledged in the MBP but not in the MacBook and I am wondering if there are any suggestions.

I know it is a lot but if anybody can help on any of these issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The screen issue could be either the inverter is on it's way out or a loose ribbon cable (either could explain the dimming with movement/keystrokes)

As far as the heat, that's where your CPU is located (also why the whining would be there). If you're overheating while not doing anything, there are a couple possible causes. Check your activity monitor, set it to "all processes" and make sure nothing has hung and is just sucking up CPU cycles. If that's not it, your vents may be clogged up, so even with the fan spinning way up, airflow is pretty much non-existent. If neither of those help, you could always try re-applying a thin layer of thermal paste between the CPU core and the heatsink as Apple tends to apply a needlessly thick layer that actually works less well than a thin layer would.