White 3GS Cracking and the White Plains, NY Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samkhazary, Jul 13, 2009.

1. samkhazary macrumors newbie

Does anyone else feel that Apples customer service is going down the drain? So I bought a 32GB White 3GS on Thursday and noticed today a crack around the SIM card slot and multiple hairline cracks around the dock connector. I was under the impression that I am not crazy if I’d like to exchange a $500 item purchased 5 days that is cracking.

Well I guess I was wrong because the bright staff at the Apple Store in White Plains, NY felt that there was nothing wrong with having a phone with cracks. The guy in the orange shirts explanation was that these aren’t cracks; I think his exact explanation was “It’s like when you screw something to tight it expands, so it’s not a crack it’s the screws in the phone being to tight so it’s completely normal to see those lines.” Then the girl at the concierge explains that if I would like to do an exchange she has no appointments, which makes zero sense, why the hell do I need an appointment to do an exchange, I’m not asking to hangout with a genius and I don’t need tech support.

Am I crazy for thinking that I should be able to exchange my 5 day old phone that’s cracking? And are the people that Apple is hiring nowadays of poorer quality and lacking of common sense?

I guess I’ll just have to go to the Fifth Avenue store here that had a helpful and great staff.

I forgot to mention the super bright guy in the orange shirt said to avoid getting more cracks don't hold the phone to tight or ever put it in your pocket... idiot.

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Okay, the orange shirt guy is a complete idiot. Screwing things in too tightly can cause cracks, so his arguement is completely wrong.

As for the girl genius, she has a point and was just doing her job. Plenty of people have issues with their iPhones and would like to get them replaced. Sorry, but you'll have to get in line, just like everyone else. Which is why she told you to get a genius appointment.

If you really want to bypass the genius appointment, 5th Avenue would be your best bet, but don't press your luck, they'll probably still request an appointment from you.

3. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

It specifically states on apples website... in order to have your iPhone looked at for servicing/replacement you must do one of 2 things...

1. Make a Mac Genius appointment at a local store

or

2. Call Apple Tech Support and have it mailed in...

The orange shirt guy as mentioned is not very bright... but the girl was doing her job....

Think about it.. if all the appointments in a day were booked and on top of those they took walk-ins then there would be no point in having an appointment because you would most likely get delayed...

4. samkhazary thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved. Put in the box and took it to 5th Avenue, since it was purchased 5 days ago they went ahead and swapped it out in a few minutes.

I've always made Genius apts in the past when I'm out of the 14 day return period, but I've never heard of making one to exchange a item you just bought.

I think the White Plains store employs more riff raff than the Manhattan stores. I realized the competence of the people I was dealing with when he tries to explain to me that tight screws cracking plastic are completely normal.

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Nicely done. Definitely, the Manhattan stores employ a better overall staff from my past experiences. The 5th Avenue store is my personal favorite; the Geniuses and the concierges are so nice and willing to help. They even have skipped some of the minor paperwork for me too because they know me by face now :).

Enjoy the new iPhone 3GS.

6. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

What an idiot. The monkeys that built my house over tightened most of the screws on the light switch covers causing the plastic to crack. So according to your "genius" that's normal and they're not cracks?? LOL.

A phone you can't put in your pocket. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

7. lavinci macrumors 6502

Yeah I also do realize that no two stores have the same level of customer service even though they may be close to one another

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Racist. :eek:
    j/k:p

I understand that you already got your phone exchanged, but think of a Genius Appointment as a pass to the front of the line. You're more than welcome to stand in line but all of the people with appointments have priority. Therefore, she was really just trying to help you out, I'm also guessing you were there towards the end of the day and she didn't want you to stand there until closing and get no help. As for Orange Shirt ... He is a confirmed idiot.