White 4S - What's rattling inside?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orschinger, Oct 14, 2011.

1. orschinger macrumors member

Feels like there is something loose inside?!

My first call with the 4S and my girlfriend tells me, I sounded like talking from the inside of a can.

And when I gently knock the 4S on a wooden table, I can clearly hear something clicking and rattling inside.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

2. BFG86 macrumors 6502

I notice it too. Drives me crazy.

I went to an apple store thinking something was loose they could tighten as I had read others had success there, but they said they can't access that part.

So I asked other people to hold the phone up to their ear and tap the back of it and they hear it too. so I guess there's something loose in their by design?

3. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

iPhone 4 has this too, it's the camera. Nothing to worry about.

4. disarticulate macrumors regular

Could it be the oscillating vibrate motor? I read a thread a few hours early today about a white iPhone that had a funky sounding vibrate motor that dampened when he gave it the death grip.

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Hmm...I just shook my black 16 gb and nothing rattled. It probably does have something to do with the vibration motor, though.

6. Dheald macrumors member

It's the camera or check your lock button. There is expected amount of play but maybe yours is excessive?

7. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Yeah there's no rattle when you shake it, only when you tap from about the apple logo up

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Don't do that. The fantastically miniaturized hamster (smaller, lighter, thinner) powering your phone doesn't like it. :rolleyes: ;)

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

10. BigRingIt, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

BigRingIt macrumors member

I have that too with my white 64gb. It's rather annoying. Like a small loose ball bearing inside

11. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

That happened with an old phone of mine. Drives you nuts when you can't make out what people are saying sometimes.

So much for Apple quality. Maybe they should move manufacturing to Japan or another country that doesn't suck

12. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Well, now, I know it's not just me and my paranoia. Hopefully, I'll be able to forget it and tune it out.

13. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

I have my iPhone 4 for almost a year and it never made any rattling sound ever. Even when I used it to listen music whole jogging. And no smartphone is suppose to make any rattling sound. It has to definitely do with something lose inside. If I were you, I would get it replaced ASAP. :)

14. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

My black 64Gb does this. I thought my case wasn't on tight at first. But it was. Doesn't bother me though.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Its made in China ...LOL.

There goes the "Android feels cheap and iPhone is solid" theory.

16. thaghost macrumors 6502

After reading this, I tapped on the back of my 32gb iphone 4s and noticed it. Never noticed it with my iphone 4. I held a finger on the camera and did it again and didn't here it. So I am thinking it is the camera.