White 5s: plastic enamel around screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frumious B, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Frumious B macrumors newbie

My newish white/silver 5s was in the Apple leather case and dropped maybe 3-4 feet from a table onto the floor. I thought I was OK and then saw a pretty good 3/4 cm sized gap in that raised white edge around the screen in the upper right hand corner. It's really bothering me to the point that I am willing to shell out to get the screen replaced. I'm not wanting to scam a free warranty fix or anything like that. I will pay for it. Will Apple do the work for me if I take it to an Apple store or am I stuck going third party? My phones have always stayed near perfect except for a few minor scratches. I've never had something like this so early in a phone's tenure.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're not stuck going third party. Apple will either fix it or replace the phone. You may be charged, you may not be is the only unknown.

3. Frumious B thread starter macrumors newbie

It's minor and it's cosmetic. I'd read that they wouldn't do anything unless it actually affected the use of the device beyond normal wear and tear, but Iw wasn't sure if that applies just to AppleCare type stuff or to everything. I was concerned that I might be turned away.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, what you are talking about is only in regards to the first year warranty and the second year under Applecare+

If you are willing to pay, Apple will be more than happy to take your money.

5. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Can you post a photo so we can help you decide if it's worth it or not?

6. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Agreed. OP, you could take to the genius and inquire about a screen replacement. I recommend telling your story, what happened. They'll see the damage and will work to resolve it. If they ask for payment, it will be cheaper replacing the screen ($150 I believe) vs replacing the whole unit ($220/230 thereabout?). Sent from my iPhone 5.

7. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Why do people feel the need to add that?

8. I7guy macrumors G5

Not sure.

Sent from my silver grey 64 gig iphone 5s.:D

9. 1DApple macrumors member

Why do you care?

10. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

I don't, as a matter of fact no one cares that he sent it from an iPhone 5. It's not even like that line was automatically added like iDevices do by default with emails, he actually went out of his way to manually type that in.

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

So I can make new friends, my friend. :)

Sent from my iPod Shuffle.

12. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

That sucks. I've never broken any of mine...Apple will do it with a charge but most likely they will give u a replacement (possibly a refurbished) you can also do it yourself if you by the screen online... But I've never tried that before.

13. 1DApple macrumors member

Hmm... and yet you went out of your way to comment.
    But anyway I truly have lost interest so, I'm outta here.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If the OP is under warranty, particularly Applecare+ and does a replacement himself the OP could set himself up for a greater problem later.

If he needs repair or replacement later on and while starting to work on the phone Apple discovers that the screen is NOT original (and they will know) that's it. They will refuse to work on the device and any further warranty the OP has will end right then. End of story.

So, better if the OP is covered right now that he lets Apple take care of it.

OP, I forgot to mention that if you have AC+ you could use one of your Accidental Damage Handling options under AC+. That would be $79 I think and Apple would take care of this. Versus whatever they might want for repair/replacement. But you only get two. After that it's out of pocket or the device would have to have an actual defect for the one year warranty/AC+ to cover any further problems.

15. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I don't see him stating that he has apple care. If he was a good iPhone handler (not judging anyone but most people who have this happen is because they don't have a case or don't take good care of there iPhone. I've never broken any idevice before...) but if he was a good iPhone handler this wouldn't have happened in the first place and even if this did happen and he repaired it himself, he should be handling it appropriately so that it doesn't break and he won't go to the apple store. Apple care is for those who can't take good care of their $600 iPhone. Again, I do understand things happen and it isn't always the owners fault but people need to be more careful when they are holding a phone worth over half of a thousand dollars. It's like holding a $600 tv when you first buy it and put it in your room, u move slowly and make sure u don't bump into anything or drop the tv. Y can't iPhones be treated the same way.

Thanks for reading this rant...it would have been unnecessary to write this if people would've just been careful in the first place

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, he didn't mention it. So, I don't know if he does have it or not. I just thought I would bring this up.

I get you on your rant. I don't agree with all of it, but I get it. I try to be careful with my stuff, but I'm a klutz. Fortunately, I haven't dropped my phone yet. I do have Applecare+ though. You may consider that to be for those who can't take good care of their phones and I won't deny that there is a small kernal of truth of that in my case.

However, part of my reason in getting AC+ is protection from some of the people I happen to be around. One person in particular has broken stuff of mine simply because she is a walking accident waiting to happen and is extremely careless when it comes to stuff that's not hers. On top of that she has very little respect for personal space and private property. Add that all together and things can happen.

17. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

And yes, I respect that. Some people just don't know how to keep others property safe like u mentioned with that lady that's a walking accident. Also, accidents can happen but it seams like when people break their devices it is when they stop paying attention and let their awareness down, forgetting that they have a $600 phone in their hands. That is when most accidents happen with iPhones and it is somewhat that persons fault for letting their guard down and forgetting they are holding a $600 bill in their hands...

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A better question is why does Apple feel the need to add that?

19. Frumious B thread starter macrumors newbie

Partially in my defense...The lightness of the phone was a contributing factor. When I pick it up my hand still reflexively expects the weight of my old 4s and grabs something much lighter instead which sort of sped up my hand ever so slightly and the phone slipped out onto the floor.

----------

It's not worth it under most circumstances, not super noticeable, but it bugs me. Hard to take a pic when my phone is also the best camera I have. I tried one with the iPad, but it didn't turn out clear enough. It's like waking out of a grocery store to a little ding or scratch on your brand new car versus the same thing on your five year old car.

20. garysauctions macrumors member

Why do you care why he cares?

Sent From My iPhone 6.5s with 6" screen

21. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Just asking out of interest, are you sure it\s a 3/4 cm gap, not 3/4 mm? 3/4 cm is the width of the phone, and if there's a gap between the display and the white bezel around that measures 3/4 cm, I mean, that'd be physically quite impossible, wouldn't it? :)

22. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I thought 3/4 cm seemed awfully large too. You could almost stick your finger in it. I would certainly be noticeable in any picture. :cool:

23. boobie12 macrumors 6502

I don't think apple fixes screen yet on the 5s's. Not sure because while I was in the apple store a lady asked for a screen replacement and the Genius Bar said they don't do 5s's yet. And she would have to pay to get the whole phone replaced.

24. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I agree, it's quite ridiculous. I mean, he literally typed it in.

Sent from my iPhone 5s

25. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Sorry, I probably offended you, I was just trying to prove why cases are necessary...and I was talking about people in general for the most part.