Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Is it possible for Apple to produce an aluminum MacBook Air/Pro in white? I’m not really sure how they achieve the colored finishes but would white be so hard?

Titanium would reach new levels of lightness for the Air and I’m sure they could make it that color but that’s obviously going to come at a premium so would probably be reserved for a Pro, but a white and black MacBook Air duo would be a neat throwback to the plastic Macs and breathe new life into the lineup IMHO.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Would you be into it or not?

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
The old Titanium PowerBooks were prone to scratches and could look really beat up in a short amount of time. Whenever we had them come in for service they’d have nicks and really small dents. The aluminum PBs that succeeded them were far more robust (mine still looks brand new).

Would love to see a return of a polycarbonate education spec MacBook though!

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
That’s what I was asking. Is it possible to make it in white somehow or does that have to be done via a skin kit or something?

Thanks for the reply
If you want it solid white, you probably need a skin kit or a white plastic protective shell.

The colors in the current iMac and MacBook lineup are created through anodization, essentially using an electrical current to allow dye to penetrate into the surface of the metal. These coatings are still transparent/translucent, though.

There aren't any white dyes that can work using this method. What does exist is paint (containing titanium dioxide, usually), but that would scrape off pretty quickly.

Reactions: Tagbert and mjs916

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
silver is the closest we'll get. i loved the old white plastic macbooks but some times they'd end up yellowing.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Aluminum is approximately 66% lighter than titanium.
Well, yeahhh... strictly when comparing nuggets of equivalent displacement. Keeping in mind that both aluminum and titanium both must be alloyed for most practical applications: Aluminum commonly with manganese, magnesium and silicone; titanium commonly with iron, nickle, aluminum and tin.

Titanium has awesome strength-to-weight ratio; weaker aluminum has better electrical and temperature conductivity. Both have soft surfaces in clean raw form. Outer oxide (or other elements) coatings give them surface hardness, which can be near diamond-like.

But we're talking about fashion, here, and all that matters is that titanium is a wonderful material and finish. In a laptop or phone chassis, titanium is strictly a pretty veneer, grafted to aluminum. Titanium is hideously expensive to produce; no one needs or would feel value in a solid titanium phone chassis. And as mentioned, it wouldn't manage heat well.

As for the phone back panels, I always thought glass is stupid - a fragile, often fatal, weakness introduced on purpose! Humbug! I'd prefer modular plates, screwed into place with a nitrile gaskets, plus whatever plastic gutters for antennas - because of course, the BATTERY WOULD BE USER SERVICEABLE. Anyway, laptops are ready for such next level aesthetics.

They could just anodize the panels in pretty colors, and everyone could sell more backplates with designer art or finishes. And the plastic antenna gutters could be light conductive plastics, so they could play status or music light shows better than Nothing Phones do - customizable with data from apps and feedback from sensors from iPhones or Apple Watches. Not entirely unlike showy PC case builds.

If Apple wants to keep their branding on display (not in protective cases), on the hip or arm, in hand (not in pocket or bag), or on desktops (not on floors or hidden behind monitors) then they really need to ascend past neo-brutalist bricks with fragile, mild color tinting. You should be able to put your phone or laptop on the bar, and get a free drink for the coolest case & lighting each hour. Remember white iPods and Earbuds, folks getting down with that white cable swinging? The candy color MacBooks? No? Errr... Apparently I'm old AF. But Apple needs to do THAT again.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjs916

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
IMG_9118.jpeg

Um, it’s a very dark blue?
Correct. I decided not to edit my post since it would affect the post referencing it, but I acknowledged my citing the wrong name by mistake here: (see pic)

Thanks 😊

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.