White Apple Macbook 2009 vs::

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krishnaudani, Feb 28, 2010.

1. krishnaudani macrumors newbie

Hey People!!

I bought a white :apple: macbook 2009 for my dad this January. And I'm looking to get protection. I've done a LOT of research on the topic but am still on the fence and need a little review-help from y'all.

1. :: I'm looking to cover the top, bottom, palmrest area.
    ZAGG Invisible Shield [$54.99 = Top, bottom, wrist rest, track pad and mouse button(s) + Lifetime Replacement]
    Versus Bodyguard [$49.95 = 1 bottom, 1 top, 1 wrist rest & trackpad + Lifetime Replacement]
    Versus BestSkinsEver [$27.99 = Total Body Skin (Site does not elaborate further) + NO lifetime replacement]

2. Does anybody recommend getting the keyboard and trackpad covered too? I understand Moshi is the popular choice but on
    their website (moshistore.com) I only saw products for the Aluminium unibody and nothing for the white MB.

Input is HIGHLYY appreciated :D

Thanks for your time!

2. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

im looking for the same info so please send me a pm if you make a decision.

as far as the palm guard goes...

def get the moshi palm guard. its a rough sticker that feels much nicer on the palms and fits and matches the color perfectly. you cant even see it. and its not sticky on your palms like a normal sticker or the normal plastic is.

i wouldnt get a touchpad guard either...theres no need for it really. the glass trackpad is very durable and feels so nice.

3. krishnaudani thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, its just that why order a separate one when you're paying for a full body cover and getting a wrist support/palm guard on the 3 sites mentioned above..

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I wouldn't bother with any:

1. Takes away the design of the computer
    2. doesn't really offer any protection
    3. they are designed not to need that sort of protection anyway - it is already polycarbonate

Get a sleeve for carrying it around and forget wrapping your computer in a condom

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

If you hate the "shiny/oily key look" (although a bit harder to see on white keys VS black keys on the Macbook Pros) I'd get a Moshi Clearguard keyboard cover. I've used several different brands (zCover, kbcovers.com) and the Clearguard is the thinnest material so doesn't seem as cumbersome to type. It also protects the Macbook from minor spills (I had a little splash of water on my Macbook and this Clearguard saved it). Goes for about $23 shipped from www.newegg.com.

Regarding full-body film I always get the bestskinsever as its like 1/2 price of Invisible Shields and about the same quality. I dislike scratches/scuffs so these 2 items are usually the first 2 accessories I get for my Macs :).

6. krishnaudani thread starter macrumors newbie

7. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

No problem, one thing to note however with the Moshi Clearguard keyboard covers, they are very thing and the material is not as "grippy" as the regular common silicone covers like Marware/zCover that you'd find at an Apple store. As such if you blow on the cover from the side with wind or a fan it could come off, versus the silicone zCover/Marware ones are more "grippier" but also more thick so less nice to type on IMHO.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm confused by your thread title. Were you originally going to post something else but were distracted?

9. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

i have the marware one and its actually pretty thin especially compared to my last one i got from ebay (no name brand)

and idk what that guy is talking about you lose the design of your mac...its a invisible sticker. it doesnt change the shape at all and you can barely see them. there to protect from scratches/scuffs...the glossy finish on the poly is easy to scratch

and i was just saying get the moshi guard and just dont use the one that comes with the bestskinever...but thats only if you have the extra cash. the moshi is really nice i must say.

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I got a best skins ever for my MacBook Polycarb Uni thats 3 weeks old now. I didnt like the keyboard skin portion of it, took away the beauty to me when its open. I did keep the skin on top and bottom though and its nice as those areas are most exposed anyway. I realized that I am going to be careful with it, and its bound to pick up "light" scrathces over my years of use anyway, so I am cool with that. Its sturdy built notebook, and I barely notice the very few light scratches that have occurred. I have to put it under a spotlight to see them, lol...just my .02, I love my new PolyacrbUni MB

11. Skippy440 macrumors member

Skippy440

12. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

i dont like the speck cases for the new macbook. they dont have holes on the bottom to dissipate heat like every other speck case for every other macbook. i dont know why...but its pretty stupid of speck.

its fine for normal stuff but when you work your computer i noticed my temps stay higher than normal for longer. i took the case off after it was getting hot and the inside of the case was very hott. u could tell it was holding heat. so i returned it and im just going with bestskinever clear shield..along with my moshi palmguard and marware keyboard cover

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

+1

unless your using your MacBook in the jungles of Africa or somehow got on the, how I survived show you don't need one.

14. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more. Don't wast money on all that crap. All you need is a sleeve. Just be careful with your $1000 laptop, don't drink or eat around it and don't let people with dirty hands use it. It will be fine with some TLC and a good sleeve. I recommend incase sleeve's, they are the best IMO.