White back on Black iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thetics, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Thetics macrumors regular

Hi guys, Im not sure if i posted this in the right section or not, but I was interested in replacing the black back on my iphone4 with a white back, (i know all it takes is the 2 screws to get the back cover off. I've done some searches and havent found any OEM quality back covers. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this? I DID found a website that offers JUST the glass.. but none of the bezels and other metal and plastic pieces and stuff, and i dont know what it would take to take all the extra stuff off the black one to put it on the bare white glass back. I dont want to have to pry stuff out hehe. Again, I'm not too familiar with this stuff, so my apologies in advance.

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

3. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Isn't it a shame that the people on this forum are such jerk offs that people who post a thread are automatically inclined to apologize in advance for their posts? And i have to admit, I used to be one of those jerks. Now the only thing that brings the "jerk" out of me are the Verizon fanboys who beat the proverbial dead horse about the iPhone going to Verizon. I had an HTC EVO for a little bit and the good thing about those forums is that the moderators had zero tolerance for ******s. It's a valid question and yes, there are other threads about this exact question. It is a matter of just removing the two screws on the bottom and sliding the back glass off. There is also a YouTube tutorial on how to disassemble the iPhone 4. It should be a pain free process. Good luck and let us know how it went.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I can't stand people who don't read before they post... :rolleyes:

OP: I did a few searches and haven't been able to find it. Maybe once the White iPhone is released then replacement parts will start to show up...

OTOH you can always find someone with a White iPhone and trade with them. Oreo iPhones FTW! :D

5. Los macrumors regular

I found this, but it pretty much costs as much as a 16 GB iPhone with a contract.

6. Thetics thread starter macrumors regular

OMFG I LOVE OREOS! Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep looking too, ill post here if I find anything

Double stuff or original?

7. Evolesque macrumors member

Just wait a while. More reputable dealers will have all the parts even if they have to be bought separate. This is judging by the fact that you can buy all kinds of parts for all the older models. Also a reminder to make sure you have screened your phone of any warranty issues and resolve them at a store before you open it up. I'm gonna do this myself after places start getting parts.

P.S. Ebay has some parts now but they're counterfeit most likely. But I think they're 14.99 for a back plate.

8. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Can you post the search term you used to find the ebay parts?

I would be interested in trying this mod.

I think it would look hot to have a white back and a black bumper.

And best of all, I wouldn't have to put on an actual case that covers the back of the phone if I have a fake back on it.

9. Los macrumors regular

10. chequepoint macrumors member

Man you know those are walking out the back door of the factory after midnight..

11. Evolesque macrumors member

Try searching - > iPhone 4 back on ebay I see at least 3 sellers on the first page.

There's also that cnn.nn place.

12. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Thanks...

OP, this seems like a FANTASTIC idea (for the reasons I explain below). Please post pics before and after you do the mod, and maybe a link to the replacement back you wound up using. Thanks.

I wouldn't mind getting a bumper, but I hate that the bumper doesn't cover up the back of the phone and leaves it exposed to scratches, cracking and other damage.

I also think the white iPhone looks hideous from the front, but gorgeous from behind.

So if I get a cheap iPhone 4 back replacement in white and swap it, I won't need anything more than the bumper. If the back ever gets cracked, I can always put back the original black one.

Any suggestions/recommendations/problems with doing this?

Will it void the warranty? Does apple have anyway to know that you did this mod if you save the old back and swap it back whenever you need to go to the Apple store?

13. goshgoshers macrumors newbie

14. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

i'm sure it's only a matter of time before the market is swamped with novelty back plates.. I want red!

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

16. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

same here.. and you can undo it too (easily that is).

18. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

That site doesn't have the back for some reason.

19. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

20. Thetics thread starter macrumors regular