iPad White Bezel - Is it Really That Distracting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JGWolven, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JGWolven macrumors regular

Oct 10, 2013

This question is more geared to those who've had a white iPad, or have gone from white to black. One of the more common things I hear is that the bezel around the white really is distracting when viewing media.. is there any truth to that? With those who have a white iPad, do you wish you had gone with the black version? Or those who have gone from white to black, have you noticed a difference when it comes to viewing anything on the device?
  2. Will2145 macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've had a white ipad 4 for about a year now and the white bezels don't distract me at all. I like the look of white ipads better
  3. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2013
    having never owned an iPad I feel like I am a white iPad and black iPhone kind of guy
  4. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2012
    It is extremely distracting. I would never consider buying another white device.
  5. mhdena macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2009
    Works really well for tv

So popular they can't keep em on the shelfs
  6. Marrakas macrumors 6502

May 23, 2012
    It's about as distracting as having a wall behind your TV.

In other words, not at all.
  7. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Mar 10, 2010
    I find that fingerprints and dirt really distract me on a black bezel. For some weird reason I don't notice it so much on the white bezel so I find the white bezel less distracting.
  8. elistan macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2007
    Denver/Boulder, CO
    Less distracting than a black bezel, IMO. No fingerprints, and defines the screen well. If I'm interacting with a dark rendering, I have a better idea where I can and cannot touch. Granted, I don't do much passive video watching with my iPad beyond the occasional YouTube video. Mostly it's games, email, web browsing and some utils.
  9. Macalway macrumors 68020

Aug 7, 2013
    For movies with the black border, maybe

But then web borders are whitish (especially with 7) so web may look fantastic

Note: There seems to be a white bias now. I mean, BIG time :D
  10. wmitch macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I watched a lot of Netflix on my white iPad and never thought about it. i have the black iPhone though and the fingerprints and smudges drive me nuts!
    If i get the new iPad it will def be White.

not sure if there's really 1 right answer though. Probably a matter of personal opinion.
  11. Epiphron macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2010
    yea def personal opinion. the white ipad 2 was super distracting for me especially since it reflects light. so i got a black ipad 4. i prefer to have the bezel just disappear and the screen to pop out
  12. sparky1234 macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2013
    I bought a white iPad mini because I heard that scratches on black iPad minis were a lot more noticeable. The white bezel didn't bother me at all.

I heard someone once compare the white bezel to the margins of a book and the black bezel to the borders of a computer or TV screen (I think it was Rene Ritchie of iMore). The point being that both have their analogues in the real world.

Really, it's a matter of personal preference. For me, I think the white bezel of the iPad mini was a nice change of pace from all the black iOS devices I own and have owned in the past.

Having said that, I'll probably buy the Space Grey next, just cause it's a new colour.
  13. haruhiko macrumors 601

Sep 29, 2009
    White iPhone is fine since the bezel is small. But on the iPad it will be quite noticeable. So I went for a white silver iPhone 5s (partly because of the beautiful silvery Touch ID ring) but I'm buying a Space Grey iPad Air.
  14. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

Jun 27, 2010
    White makes iOS7 look so much better, bigger even
  15. Yoohoo1231 macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2010
    Not at all.

I had the black bezel on the first gen iPad and then I went with a white iPad 3 and I've honestly never noticed it.
  16. jjp007 macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2009
    For me I prefer a black iPad for watching video. The white was distracting for me. I have the white iPhone 5s and. I love it as I don't watch movies on it.
  17. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Oct 25, 2013
    For me it is. I normally watch at night with the lights off and the white bezel doesn't exactly blend in the background.
  18. Bokes macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2008
    I have the iPad 3 in white and a mini in white.
    It's not distracting unless you think about it vs pay attention to what you're doing. If you start paying attention to looking at the border- yeah it distracts.

The white stands out most while watching video.
    Anything else like reading, browsing, games...the white blends in really nice.
  19. Altis macrumors 68030

Sep 10, 2013
    Just for photos and video, white makes a pretty poor border. It tends to make the screen feel smaller as a result of having the borders so clearly defined. It also just plain stands out more.

There's a reason TVs and computer monitors tend to stick with black borders and have for many years.

For other iOS 7 stuff, white is okay.
  20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    In your opinion. Perhaps try those words.

I've never had a black iPad but I've used one. I didn't feel like my iPad was smaller or anything of the sort. I think people have varied perceptions. You have to really use both to decide.
  21. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Nov 12, 2012
    I posted the same inquiry six months ago. Replies were 50-50. I have a white Mini and watch video in low lit rooms since then. Priceless!
  22. Altis macrumors 68030

Sep 10, 2013
    Some things are scientific to the human brain. Have you noticed movies use black bars rather than white ones to constrain aspect ratio? Have you noticed how many black/dark grey TVs and monitors there are versus white/light ones? It isn't all by accident.

For watching video and photos, black is going to be better than white; however, white may or may not bother you. It will also vary depending on ambient light as well as duration of use.
  23. Freida macrumors 65816

Oct 22, 2010
    for watching movies - yes, absolutely distracting. Black + black stripes is ok. White + black stripes = no no no

but go to any apple store and try them both, you will see
  24. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2012
    It has more to do with perceived contrast ratio/black level, which is only important when doing critical viewing, such as in a home theater or perhaps a large TV. For casual viewing on a small device like an iPad, it is not very important.

On your 100 inch projection screen or 55 inch plasma/LCD, black borders may help. On a small device which is generally not used for high-end video performance, not really worth the consideration.

Heck, the only time that I generally watch entire films on my iPad is while traveling on an airplane. Talk about distractions -- the border on the iPad is the least of my issues when on a plane. Sir, do you want coffee, excuse me I need to go to the bathroom; pilot announcements, etc.