White/Black iPhone 4 cooler/hotter in your car?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DoctorOwl, Nov 1, 2011.

1. DoctorOwl macrumors newbie

I have a Black iP4 and it can get insanely hot in my car dock with the sun beating down on it.

I'm just curious if it's the same or better with the White iP4, or if it's just a function of the glass front; from anyone that's tried.

Thanks.

2. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Honestly, that will happen with any device. When I got my Motorola Droid back in January 2010 and started using it in a car dock, I noticed that after some time it would stop charging. It took me some time to figure out that it was because the phone was overheating from the sun, sometimes past 130F.

Since then I've been using a pretty sweet system to eliminate that problem. First I downloaded a temperature monitor app. The instant the battery temp goes above 104F, I get a taskbar notification (not sure about temperature monitor apps on iPhone) and I switch to windshield defrost and put the car climate control to the coldest setting; the air comes up behind the car dock/phone (assuming you have it on your dash) and cools it, preventing it from overheating.

I'd suggest doing something similar with your iPhone.