Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applepierogi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
Recently I bought an old iMac 9,1 (early 2009). I tried to check it with the previous owner with Apple Diagnostic (Command + D) and I saw the same screen, however, when I restarted the iMac, it booted normally. A day after, I wanted to update the macOS 10.10.5 to a newer version, but when I was pressing alt to choose the boot drive, I had a white blank screen again. After that I decided to reset the NVRAM, and after, this iMac cannot even boot to the OS. It chimes and sticks at this white blank screen. I tried to enter every possible mode, but nothing works.

Attachments

• z3usphie5ska1.jpg.jpg
    z3usphie5ska1.jpg.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 200

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Reset the SMC -- Shut off. unplug the power cord for about 30 seconds, then plug back in.
Try to boot to your recovery system: Press and release the power button, and then hold Command+r
If you get the menu screen on the recovery system, launch Disk Utility, and select the hard drive, then try First Aid as a quick test of the drive.
Try a Safe boot: again, from power off, press and release the power button, then hold the Shift key.
You should get a login screen...
If you continue to get only the white screen, probably a bad graphics chip. No replaceable card on this iMac.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

applepierogi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
Reset the SMC -- Shut off. unplug the power cord for about 30 seconds, then plug back in.
Try to boot to your recovery system: Press and release the power button, and then hold Command+r
If you get the menu screen on the recovery system, launch Disk Utility, and select the hard drive, then try First Aid as a quick test of the drive.
Try a Safe boot: again, from power off, press and release the power button, then hold the Shift key.
You should get a login screen...
If you continue to get only the white screen, probably a bad graphics chip. No replaceable card on this iMac.
Thank you for your reply. I tried to do this steps, but they didn't work. Can it still be a bad graphics chip, if iMac booted to the OS, before I reset NVRAM?

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Do you know which model this is?

Some of these models came with an MXM GPU (GT120, GT130 or ATI4850) and you can change this GPU in case it is dead.

Check the SN (below the foot) and query everymac.com to get the exact model you own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.