White book good enough for graphic artist?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tamakat, Jan 25, 2009.

1. tamakat macrumors newbie

I am a graphic designer and I'm not too well informed with computer specs and not too sure on what I need. I'm interested in the new white book and will be using it mainly for the Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign). Do you think if I upgrade the ram to 4 gigs, it be able to run the suite sufficiently? I would be using this as my primary computer for the next 5 years. I am currently using a Pentium 3, 2.0 ghz with 756 mhz of ram and I'm in dire need of an upgrade.

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question.

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I'm sure someone else will have a more experienced based opinion, but I will say this:

While the Macbook should run the suite without any issues, if you're looking for a machine to last you for five years, and you plan to keep up-to-date on the Adobe Suites and such, you may want to go for a base Macbook Pro, or atleast one of the Aluminium Macbooks. I have a White Macbook and it's a great machine that will certainly last you, I'm just not sure how well it's going to push along all your creative suites for five years.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Ha pentium 3?!?! you are in dire need of an upgrade, i'd go round the bend trying to do graphic design on that.

Anyway for your needs the whitebook is fine, however i would recommend looking at the Aluminium Macbook.

As long as you dont intend to do advanced photoshop work, and dont open too many windows at once, it should be perfect. Also you should note Apple are releasing a new Operating System in June, called Snow Leopard, across all their comptuers. So if you can keep your Pentium 3 going a bit longer, you'll get extra value for money.

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

If you can find a classic mbp then get that, the big screen and dedicated graphics card will help. I think the new whitebook with the 9400 will be fine but I don't know.

ChrisN

5. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Photoshop and those apps are not GPU based, so the GPU shouldn't have any effect on the performance.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Actually he's right, i forgot about that, look at Apples refurbished store online, they may have a refurbished Macbook Pro and that would sort all your needs perfectly, and more. You may not need the GPU but the extra power will be nice.

7. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I had a whitebook for a few months, and the biggest difference I noticed when I went to a MBP was the difference in the screens. CS3 ran fine on the whitebook, but when I looked at some of the pics I edited (on the macbook) once I got the MBP (light photoshop work) they didn't look as good as I thought they did.

8. youthsport macrumors newbie

I might be wrong but i thought i read that the adobe suite finally is now taking advantage of the gpu and it will actually make some functions run more smoothly. If that is the case, wouldn't the new whitebook run a bit more sufficiently even then the 'classic' macbook pro?

9. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I owned a previous version of the MB, and for photographic viewing/editing it sucked big-time.

For one thing it was glossy (hate glare). But the critical problem was the abysmal vertical viewing angle of the screen. There was no way to see the screen evenly illuminated, no matter where my head was in relation to the MB. Either the top or the bottom of the screen would be darker than the rest--hardly a good thing for any kind of visual work.

I'd seriously suggest checking the viewing angle on the latest version--although I don't think they have changed the screen--before you buy one.

I now have a refurb. 17" MBP (matte) and am much happier with it than the MB. And, being a refurb., it cost only about $600 more than the newest MB white. (The newest Macs are really expensive in Korea due to the drop in the local currency.)

10. sebasti macrumors newbie

Macbook displays are crap.. You'll need pro just for that

11. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

There would be almost no difference in performance between any recent Macbook. A few more megahertz won't do much.

People were doing graphics design on PowerMac G3s…(10 years old) a Macbook should be fine as long as your not manipulating ridiculously large images in photoshop.

Make sure you buy at least version CS3, which runs natively on the new intel processor. However you may not even notice the "speed reduction" emulating an older version if that's what you already have.

If you went for the Macbook, you'd need to use it with an external screen (best of both worlds), otherwise you'll be paying a lot more for the MBP.

I'd say that'd last you for the next 5 years, unless your creative demands change.
    You are still going to be creating the same content, at the same speed you are today, I could get things done on a G3 today like web vector graphics no problem.

My 5 year old PowerMac G5 is showing no signs of slowing, running Flash which one would think is more resource intensive than static vector design software.

12. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Is this professional level design work or hobbiest level? If it's professional and you freelance I really would consider springing for a much more powerful machine and an external monitor that has an IPS panel, the latter will be an investment hat won't depreciate fast at all in usefulness. And a more expensive machine means more work is done, meaning more money. It doesn't have to be overkill, but I (Software Engineering, used to do some graphics stuff as more of a hobby) would probably suffer a 10-40% loss of productivity overall if I had to work on such a machine. That may not seem like a lot, but if you're doing anything professionally that's quite a massive amount. Not to mention the suite even upgrading is EXPENSIVE.

13. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Photoshop CS4 uses the gpu, yes. But not for "critical" features, but still you don't know what will come with CS5/6, and the op wants to keep his machine for a long time.

The gpu of the "classic" mbp is still about twice as good as the 9400 in the new aluminium macbooks. I would suggest a refurb mbp too, I got mine for 1350 Euro and it was the former high end model. I bet you can find a "leftover" 2,4 ghz "classic" mbp for about 1100 - 1200 bucks, not much more than the whitebook but you will have a "real" gpu, a much better screen, fw800, etc. It will last 5 years more easily than the whitebook.

14. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Yes it will run FINE with CS3 or CS4. If you upgrade the RAM it will really be quick - but to be honest it will run well with all apps open with the standard 2GB.

The only issue is screen size - but you can always buy a cheap 19" to leave on a desk at home. You just 'get used' to the smaller screen size but it will be a pain.

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Youll need a decent external monitor since the LCD on the macbook is horrible.

The power is perfectly fine for graphic design but I wouldnt expect 5 years worth out of any laptop as a main computer unless its just being used for basic stuff like sending photos to grandma. I think 3 years would be pushing it for a professional computer, even if its the top of the line MBP.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd go with the MacBook Pro, if nothing else than for the larger screen.

17. tamakat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

What seems to be the main concern, is the display. I have already thought about getting a separate monitor after awhile, when I can save up, to insure that I have better quality for my graphics. I am using graphics as a profession, and if I can do ok with what I currently have, I'm assuming the white book will be good upgrade for me. Then if I can make more money, I'll possibly upgrade again :) Thanks again, guys.