White dot on 2016 MacBook Pro display

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Hi everyone

I’ve got this issue that showed up 2 days ago. When looking at my 2016 TouchBar 13" MacBook Pro at a certain angle and mostly on white background, we can notice a small white spot. Knowing that my display, top case and logic board are not even 2 years old (I had a liquid damage incident about 2 years ago that required new parts for almost all my Mac and I obviously had to pay for the repair), I find this a little bit odd. Except for the incident, my Mac never got dropped, roughed or anything and when it’s not on my desk, it’s in a well padded pouch in my bag, inside a well padded pocket. I take care of my stuff.

I took an appointement at the Apple Store next to my office, but I gotta say I don’t understand what the issue might be on a less than 2 years old display.

What are your thoughts?

Here are some pictures, you will notice that the angle from where you look is important, which is why I took 2 pictures on differents angles. The issue is noticable on the second picture.

https://imgur.com/a/lAxuR4j

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
Hi everyone

I’ve got this issue that showed up 2 days ago. When looking at my 2016 TouchBar 13" MacBook Pro at a certain angle and mostly on white background, we can notice a small white spot. Knowing that my display, top case and logic board are not even 2 years old (I had a liquid damage incident about 2 years ago that required new parts for almost all my Mac and I obviously had to pay for the repair), I find this a little bit odd. Except for the incident, my Mac never got dropped, roughed or anything and when it’s not on my desk, it’s in a well padded pouch in my bag, inside a well padded pocket. I take care of my stuff.

I took an appointement at the Apple Store next to my office, but I gotta say I don’t understand what the issue might be on a less than 2 years old display.

What are your thoughts?

Here are some pictures, you will notice that the angle from where you look is important, which is why I took 2 pictures on differents angles. The issue is noticable on the second picture.

https://imgur.com/a/lAxuR4j
What Liquid was it ?

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
Milk

But every part that was or could’ve been in contact with the liquid got replaced by Apple, so am I right to guess that it’s not related?
Well the reason I asked is that Milk does not evaporate and leaves messy residue.

Martius

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I have similar white dot on my 2015 15" MBP display. It's visible only from certain angle. I have never spilled anything on my computer, never dropped it, no visible external damage around that area. The white dot just showed up (about 8 months after my warranty expired). I have tried to get it replaced under "staingate" program, but I don't have stains on my display, so I was not successful. I got use to it, because it's almost invisible from my normal viewing angle. But if you still have the computer under warranty, you should get a new display.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
I have similar white dot on my 2015 15" MBP display. It's visible only from certain angle. I have never spilled anything on my computer, never dropped it, no visible external damage around that area. The white dot just showed up (about 8 months after my warranty expired). I have tried to get it replaced under "staingate" program, but I don't have stains on my display, so I was not successful. I got use to it, because it's almost invisible from my normal viewing angle. But if you still have the computer under warranty, you should get a new display.
I'm out of warranty, that's the issue. However, I don't think it's normal that this issue happens after less than 2 years after getting a new display.

Well the reason I asked is that Milk does not evaporate and leaves messy residue.
Yeah I guess, but they changed the display, the logic board and the top case of my Mac when they did the repairs, so I basically had a new computer.

Martius

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I'm out of warranty, that's the issue. However, I don't think it's normal that this issue happens after less than 2 years after getting a new display.
Well, there are official Apple Stores in Canada, so you could try your luck to get a free repair. Of course it's not normal, that's why I think that for the premium price we pay for Apple devices, we should get 3-4 years warranty. But it is not gonna happen.

So I wish you good luck!

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
That does not look like any kind of liquid damage, looks more like a pressure point where the lid might have gotten pressed too hard against the LED panel and damaged part of the panel itself.

I’ve seen it happen on Macs before, either from pressure when hold the computer tight (thumb or other finger pressing against the lid when carrying), or from something pointy in your carry bag. You be surprised how easily sometimes pressure points on a screen get created even when you’re being careful.

Either way, likely something you either will have to live with or pay to have it fixed by Apple.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Well, there are official Apple Stores in Canada, so you could try your luck to get a free repair. Of course it's not normal, that's why I think that for the premium price we pay for Apple devices, we should get 3-4 years warranty. But it is not gonna happen.

So I wish you good luck!
That does not look like any kind of liquid damage, looks more like a pressure point where the lid might have gotten pressed too hard against the LED panel and damaged part of the panel itself.

I’ve seen it happen on Macs before, either from pressure when hold the computer tight (thumb or other finger pressing against the lid when carrying), or from something pointy in your carry bag. You be surprised how easily sometimes pressure points on a screen get created even when you’re being careful.

Either way, likely something you either will have to live with or pay to have it fixed by Apple.
I'd be indeed surprised, because I've always took care of my Mac and my iPhone and my carry bag has nothing else in it, except my chargers and they are in a different pocket, plus my Mac is in a padded sleeve...

Anyway, here's what happened:

On Thursday evening, I had an appointment with a Genius at the Apple Store next to my office and showed them the issue. They recognized that my display had an issue, but they said that since my laptop older than 1 year, they couldn't fix it for free. Then I reminded them that my display was changed late summer 2017 due to another issue (random lines of dead pixels). They then said they could credit me the work fee, but I would still have to pay $550 + tx for the new display itself. I said no to this, then I reminded them about the article 37 from the consumer protection law in Quebec, that states that a purchase should have a decent usage lifetime, based on the value it has. Being a 3000$ laptop, its display should last longer without issues than 1 year and a half.

From this point, they said I had to talk to Apple's Customer Relation service and we made an appointment. They called me Friday at noon, I explained the situation and the lady said that indeed, my issue is not normal for a year and a half old display and that they will change it for free. I have an appointment on Monday to get my laptop fixed.

Reactions: SDColorado

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'd be indeed surprised, because I've always took care of my Mac and my iPhone and my carry bag has nothing else in it, except my chargers and they are in a different pocket, plus my Mac is in a padded sleeve...

Anyway, here's what happened:

On Thursday evening, I had an appointment with a Genius at the Apple Store next to my office and showed them the issue. They recognized that my display had an issue, but they said that since my laptop older than 1 year, they couldn't fix it for free. Then I reminded them that my display was changed late summer 2017 due to another issue (random lines of dead pixels). They then said they could credit me the work fee, but I would still have to pay $550 + tx for the new display itself. I said no to this, then I reminded them about the article 37 from the consumer protection law in Quebec, that states that a purchase should have a decent usage lifetime, based on the value it has. Being a 3000$ laptop, its display should last longer without issues than 1 year and a half.

From this point, they said I had to talk to Apple's Customer Relation service and we made an appointment. They called me Friday at noon, I explained the situation and the lady said that indeed, my issue is not normal for a year and a half old display and that they will change it for free. I have an appointment on Monday to get my laptop fixed.
Well that's good. We don't have the same consumer protection laws in the USA (at least that I am aware of), but in any case I am glad to hear that they are resolving the issue for you.

Best of luck on the repaiir and hope that it fixes the issue permanently!

Reactions: SDColorado