White dots on 2012 rMBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tritons, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I have 15'' rMBP from 2012 and about a year ago Apple exchanged my screen due to ghosting. Unfortunately something really odd is happening with this one now. When there is black/dark image on the screen on mid-to-max brightness I can see white dots on my screen. At first I thought it's just dust and tried to clean them off, then I thought that they might be dead/stuck pixels but it seems they are not since if i go over them with my nail I can feel a bumb so it appears to be something uncleanable. Hopefully you guys might be able to tell me what it is.

I have attached pictures of the screen.

Attached Files:

2. asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

I had similar spots on my screen, try to rub a bit harder with your thumb.

3. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I could, but don't want to cause any damage to the screen. Won't I?

4. sdimas macrumors member

5. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that a thing? How can that happen?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Exploded pixels (?)
    Oh, sure, it's a thing. Just not a real thing that actually happens in real life (other than in someone's over-active imagination)

LCD screen cleaner should take care of that.
    Or, if not, take into an Apple store, and let someone who sees lots of screens take a look. There may be some issue about the replacement screen, and Apple should have the chance to suggest a better way to clean the screen, or maybe offer some choices about replacing your screen.

7. asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

I said a bit not pressing :) if your problem hasn't been solved yet just give it a tryy

8. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

Hah. Right. Um, if I won't be able to clean them myself I'll give it a shot. I'm abroad till mid-september and there are no Apple stores in the country I am at.

Thank you all for your help :apple:

9. DTKblaster macrumors member

Does the brightness of the white dots scale with the backlight brightness?

And, when the lid is closed, do the dots line up with the palm rest area?

I had a very similar problem, where suddenly, there was what looked like a white suck pixel, except when moving the display angle around, the colour would change.

I looked at it under a microscope, and could see it was actually a very fine hole. It lined up exactly with the ridge between the keyboard and palm rest.

I guess that a grain of sand/grit was there when I closed the laptop, which then got crushed through the cover glass+plane-switching layers of the LCD (which are very thin and fused together) when some force came on top of the lid while it was in my bag (we all see the impressions of greasy keys on the screen from time to time).

At the time, my laptop was 1 week away from being 2 years old (bought mid july 2012) and had no apple care. Luckily I live in Europe, where a certain version of the warranty or guarantee must last 2 years. I took it to the apple store (I bought it from apple's online education store) and pretended it was a stuck pixel (I'm sure that if you say you've managed to put a hole in your screen, they won't replace it), the guy took one look at it, and simply sent it off for repair.

as a bonus, getting a new screen removed the two massive dents from the corners, and a few scratches which were on the lid ^^ good as new now