White eye on Iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackhawk526, Aug 2, 2010.

1. blackhawk526 macrumors member

blackhawk526

Is it me or is everyone suffering from the white eye effect? I recently threw a party and every picture I had of someone staring at the phone, their eyes look demonic:mad: Its only in low light levels while using the flash, and I cant find a program that has a white eye fix(only red eye)...photoshop is too time consuming right now!

example

Attached Files:

2. schataut macrumors member

I got the same issue - also with videos at certain angles (when flash is on).

3. unamused macrumors 6502

ummm turn off the flash if you dont like it....

theres no way around that...

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Someone will make an application for it sooner or later, it happens when I shoot video of my dog. It shouldn't be too hard to implement like a eye color changer.

5. chembox macrumors 6502a

How can you even take a photo without flash in the almost-dark, then? :confused:

6. Shoot macrumors regular

well to be fair, this is an issue with most cameras that use flash. the eye is reflective, it reflects the white flash. there is no software fix

7. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Redeye is quite common with most camera, and most have redeye reduction built in. Im guessing maybe a firmware update could implement redeye reduction ?

8. kimtyson macrumors member

You can use sotware to reduce the white-eye the same as you reduce red-eye.

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I noticed this, too. Not sure why the iPhone 4 gives "white-eye" while every other camera gives "red-eye."

The red-eye effect comes from the light of the flash bouncing off the retina of the eye, which is rich in blood vessels (hence the red color). Why the iPhone 4's flash would cause this to be white I can't understand.

Was a little disconcerting to me at first - there's a malignant eye (retinal) tumor called retinoblastoma, and one of the signs of this tumor is "red-eye" effect turning white in the affected eye. There are other medical causes for white eye reflex, but clearly not everyone in my iPhone 4 pictures has medical eye issues...

Still can't figure out why the iPhone 4 is doing it. Software?

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Dog eyes (and cat's) are always white-yellow in flash photography. Their retinas are more reflective for better night vision as compared to human retinas.

11. wif macrumors newbie

white eye - untreatable by iphoto red eye

Yes, but there's more. Hasn't anyone else imported the white eye iPhone 4 flash photos into iPhoto and found that its remove red eye function doesn't work? Anyone found a workaround? Is Apple working on a 'remove white eye' function. It must be a very widespread problem and has already ruined a bunch of photos (if you try and apply iphoto 'red eye remove' to white eye photos you can't go back..... any suggestions? cheers Wif

12. Schweitzer macrumors regular

I think it's because the flash is very near to the camera lens and the light (white) is directly reflected on the cornea / lens / surface of the eye -> "white eyes".

If the flash is further away from the lens it is not directly reflected back to the camera lens and you take a picture of the illuminated retina because of the dilated pupils in the dark -> "red eyes".