White iMac C2D GPU Temperature Issue?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Schtumple, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I haven't really been too bothered over this, but my friend recently said that my GPU looks like its running way too hot, it runs between 60-65 under normal use, and can get close to 80 under pressure (final cut pro, i don't play games).

For anyone who goes "well as your cpu heats up it must heat up your gpu too" (in 2nd screen shot), it actually stuck at around 59 & 60.

Is it normal for a gpu to run wayyyy hotter than a cpu?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

My white iMac core 2 duo 2.16Ghz with X1600 256 MB

Attached Files:

3. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

thats odd that yours (which is both faster cpu and double gfx memory) is cooler than mine, I doubt apple would take me seriously, and I'm not looking for a free new imac, hate the new look, just worried me that it could if i put it under too much pressure for too long that that could be the end of it...

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well my room is pretty cool at the moment, although it says ambient is 26 degrees it certaintly is not, more like 16 as i have my window open. Can't really find anything to really tax my GPU, can you recommend and test that i could thrash it with to see if it gets up to the temperatures you are reporting.

5. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

load a video into imovie (one thats above 5 minutes) and bombard it with fx, that should simulate what i do on final cut, i think imovie uses more cpu than gpu though, but it should push the temps up for the gpu, it does it alot for mine...

Also i have a desk fan that keeps blasting the mac with air (rotating head fan thing), so its not hot in here, windows open max too

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Ok just spent the last 20 minutes just applying video affects in iMovie to a 4 minute video. I even closed the window (partly because i was cold), and the hottest it got was

Attached Files:

7. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's ridiculous, I've never got below 60c for the GPU, should i try to contact apple over this? could be a lack of paste on gpu/dodgy heatpipe/heatsink

It's still under warranty (for a while yet) and has been like this since i bought it

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well it is a full 20 degrees Celsius hotter which is quite significant to say the least (135%). It still might be within specification though. Could be worth calling apple to see what they say.

9. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

apple makes it look like hell to service your product, the fact that they can charge me a hell of alot if they decide that the products fine, which it is, its jsut wayyyy to hot...

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I wouldn't worry too much.
    My old PBG4 reached 86C while intensive gaming, in a laptopstand..

I'm rendering a movie now and my CPU is 80C and GPU 76C , still the fan is only 4998 rpmand not fullspeed 6k. CPu load @ 180% atm

11. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

Hmmm guess your right, I think I'll go for the full applecare thing before the warranty finishes though, would like this to be a worth while investment and not burn out on me 2 months after the warranty finishes....