White iMac - Wi-Fi built in?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cazz, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Cazz macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm going to be getting THIS iMac for my birthday this year, I've finally decided to make the switch; could somebody PLEASE give me a definitive answer to the title question. Does it have Wi-Fi built in, will I be able to just jump online with it? - Sorry if this has been posted before, I'm just looking for some clarification. Thank you.

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes it does, 802.11 G.

Please tell me your not going to pay £750 for that.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Spend a few more and get the aluminum version, that is the education model.

So the combo drive doesn't support CD/DVD burning.

Here is the original specs from 2006...

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP28

Don't know if Apple upped the card to 802.11n on the MA710B/A model.

4. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

If you can find the 2.0 GHz C2D 17" w/ SuperDrive you can buy the Airport Extreme 802.11n Enabler from Apple for $2 and then have wireless N instead of wireless G although I'm not sure if you need that kind of speed or distance on your wifi

I have the model I am talking about (see signature) but haven't bothered to get the wireless N enabler since my iMac sits right next to my router I just use ethernet, but I will probably buy it before I sell off my iMac in Jan/Feb since the person I'm selling it to will be using wifi

5. Cazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, I'm definitely considering going with the Aluminum now; I'll have to have a think about it. Thanks for the confirmation on the Wi-Fi though it's appreciated.

and to the poster above, my iMac is going to be about 4 - 5 meters from the router; so the signal should be more than strong enough. If I see the model you referred to though I'll go with that. :)

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The baseline iMac is £50 more (or cheaper if you are a student)

And for that you get a much larger nicer screen, faster processor, more memory, bigger hard drive, better graphics, super drive, faster wifi, and of course a much nicer design. Oh and you get £60 off a printer with it.

When that white 17" model was sold over a year ago it sold for £699 so F knows why Amazon is charging that much for it.

Which ever way, don't buy it.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, that be my iMac (with a lower CPU). But yea you'd be best off with one of the newer models. They're all brilliant machines.