White Intel Duo Core iMac vs Aluminium iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pearcey, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Pearcey macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a desktop computer for home use, I've been looking at used iMacs on eBay, and the price difference between the white duo core iMacs and the newer Aluminum ones is quite significant.

The main uses for me, are Internet, Music, Films. I'd like at least 250gb HDD. And preferably Leopard.

What advice can you give me? What is the best option for me?

This is my first post here, I've been viewing these boards for a while, and found it to be a valuable resource in my switching to mac.

2. rfrankl macrumors 6502

For what you are doing, the white one would be fine. I have the 24" white Core 2 Duo, and love it. That said, I also think the newer aluminum ones are sharp. Obviously if you get the white one, you are buying a machine that is a few years old.

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, could you clarify one thing.

Are the white iMacs that you're looking at Core Duo? or Core 2 Duo?

There's a big speed difference between the two.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

One difference between the white and shiny core 2 duo imacs are the maximum amount of ram available for each one.

The whites only go up to 3.3 gigs of ram (you can install 4, but it only uses 3.3) versus 4, or possibly even more, for the aluminum.

That being said, either should be fine for your uses. But if you plan to use windows using vmware or parallels, stick at least 3 gigs of ram or more in.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I have a 20" White iMac Core Duo and it has been great for over three years now. I do all of your basics and lots of more intensive stuff like photography editing, video editing, music, and movie conversion for HD stuff. As far as the memory side of it goes, I have 1.5 gb out of a 2 gb max. Mine came with a 250gb HD, but I've got lots of Firewire externals connected, which give me plenty of storage space. Of course the aluminum version would give you the latest and greatest, but if this is your first Mac then a White iMac is not a bad place to start. Best of luck and I'll be happy to answer any other specific questions you might have.