White iPad 2 brighter than black iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Legion93, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I've recently popped into an apple store and compared the black and white versions and it seemed that the white model's screen was just more brighter and had more vivid colours than the black one. Anyone would presume that the only difference would be the colours in the outer frame/bezel.

To compare the brightness issue on the black one, I put them side by side and increased the brightness to 100% and turned 'auto brightness' feature off. Surely everything was the same so I was a bit cynical of this.

Perhaps the white bezel gives a more bright and vivid display, maybe it is just an illusion and fools the eye that the white converts the bright aspect of the frame to the actual screen itself.

If there is anyone that has noticed this issue, or those lucky chaps that actually has bought one of each colour, could you check to see if this is true, or am I just having daydreams? :p

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I think you will find this is the very slack quality control Apple are using these days. There appears to be variations in screens in many areas. It seems to be pot luck what your screen looks like.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

If it were a visual illusion you would expect the ipad with the black bezel to appear brighter.

Either you found a particularly bright white ipad, or a dull black ipad, or both (or you are just imagining the difference!).

4. xraytech, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

I'm calling Optical Illusion

Here is something analogs to the Black vs White

[​IMG]

Square A & B is the same shade of gray.

Here's an even better example. Just imagine the gray blocks as the iPad screen and the black & white blocks the bezel.

[​IMG]

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

But this illusion is the other way round to what the OP observed. The square in the darker context of the illusion looks brighter (analogous to the black bezel).

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure it works both ways.

7. xraytech macrumors 68020

Look at my second example.

Just imagine the gray blocks as the iPad screen and the black & white blocks the bezel.

[​IMG]

8. Carouser macrumors 65816

No, I think you will find this is because the number of screens the OP found this on is minimal and thus not a reliable indicator of anything; because human perception is unreliable, inconsistent, and malleable; and because it was under one condition (the Apple store, by one person, with specific lighting) rather than across conditions. Absent rigorous testing he is not justified in concluding anything about the nature of the screens, let alone interpreting it as an issue of quality control.

9. Legion93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legion93

That may be so true! I've recently compared my iPhone 4 to my sister's one and mine had a more brighter display, with colours appearing more natural. Her one was like washed away, with a yellow tint to it. not to sway away from the original topic, but Apple really have poor quality control/checks on their products... we're paying are hard earned cash for a product that is poorly built in some aspects...

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

No. It is because Apple sources iPad displays from three different companiesat least (LG, Samsung and CMI) and they are slightly different from each other, using different techs. This is nothing new, as anyone familar with the term "panel lottery" can attest to. Many LCD monitors of the same name performed differently depending on the panel manufacturer and it's just the nature of the business. It is impossible to source that many panels from a single manufacture.

If you want to put something as negative on Apple like you usually do, at least pick something more reasonable, like the light leak.

11. xraytech macrumors 68020

Do we really need another, "Bash Apple's Quality Control" thread?

12. Legion93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Yes, but the apple representative and many other people I had asked confirmed this as well. The rep. at Apple store told me that this may be a minor defect or fault and that the one I would receive would be like the white iPad (i.e. brighter with a good display). I didn't believe this and to back my source up, I went into several other stores in London, including authorised resellers like PC World, Currys and Comet and it was all the same... the white one just seemed to have a better display. And no, I don't think it was to do with lighting - you don't see dim-lit stores nowadays and besides many people said that too.

It was the same story with my iPhone 4. The screens on the device just differ from each other, I've compared it with 5 other people and they all had different types of screens (i.e. some were brighter and my sister's one even had a yellow tint to it! - But this was not really visible, you would have to analyse them closely to notice the difference)

It can be said that Apple has poor quality control/checks on their products after all...

13. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Fair play! I just quickly knocked this image together because yours mixes light and dark borders. Personally, I can't make up my mind which looks lighter!

... and expectancy does influence perception.

Anyhoo, I've been looking at it for too long and it just does my head in now!

Attached Files:

14. Legion93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legion93

The consumer does not care what brand of screen they use, as long at it is top quality and same, all devices at Apple is mass produced, therefore needs to have at least similar properties, if not all the same. The amount of profit they generate could at least be spent on quality checks rather than trying to source the cheapest LED screen from a manufacturer.

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

It is expected. For Dell and Samsung monitors there were "panel lottery" threads in forums because two monitors of the same name can carry different panels made by different companies performing differently. Unfortunately this is something that cannot be addressed as no single company can currently meet Apple's demands and you cannot expect all panels from different companies perform the same.

I hear you but that is simply impossible because of the differences in manufacturers and it has nothing to do with quality control. It is not limited to Apple either as other monitor brands all suffered similarily just that you don't hear about it much.

16. Legion93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Technically no, but it's not my fault either. If Apple does not sort it out, then who will? I'm not "bashing" Apple's quality control either. I'm paying a grand on a device which has poor aspects, that if spent time on fixing it would resolve the issue. Let's all hail Steve Jobs!

17. Carouser macrumors 65816

Oh, just an honest question then, you are curious as to what us chaps might think; it's not like you already sought out an answer . . . wait, what:

Oh, you're that kind of poster.

18. Legion93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Don't understand your post... could you be more specific?

19. Carouser macrumors 65816

Sure, you told us you just popped into an Apple store and thought the white iPad had a brighter screen, so you asked, is this actually the case or ha ha is it just an optical illusion or ho ho maybe just a daydream. When told it's an optical illusion or normal variance you pull out the card that you also went to 'several other stores in London, including authorised resellers like PC World, Currys and Comet and it was all the same' and that you spoke to an Apple rep about the issue. In other words, you asked a question in bad faith under misleading pretenses. It's not clear what you are looking for since the Apple rep already confirmed what you wanted him or her to. Nice join date, you sound like a FUDster, is what I'm getting at. If you're not maybe you can be more clear up front in your initial posts about what your actual situation is. Hope that helps!

EDIT: also the constant drops about Apple's poor quality control are not helping your case

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No, it has nothing to do with various panel supplies, it has to do with Apple's quality control.

It's like people who sell tea, they have a master mix/blend of tea and they source tea's from around the world which vary, and from year to year they also vary. However they use very highly skilled tea tasters/mixers who will all the time adjust the blend to make sure the exact same high quality product reaches the customer.

Quality Control.

They don't say, or sorry, some packs of tea taste funny as we have a few different suppliers. That's just not bothering.

Don't make excuses. It's up to the people BUILDERS who receive components from different sources to make sure the quality is maintained, not just slap anything together and pass it onto the customer.

21. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Unless you can show that there's no statistical significance between the max brightness of the average display produced by each of the manufacturers Apple uses, you can't discount the variation between them. I'm not saying Apple's quality control isn't a source of variation, too, but the fact that the panels come from different manufacturers can't be ignored unless we assume each of them makes identically bright displays, which I don't really buy.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If you are a manufacturer of a finished product and you out source all/some of the componant parts to others to make for you, you have to send them all the physical specs, dimensional, and in the case of screens, brightness, colour accuracy etc etc etc.

You have to police the supply you get from the makers. If their output varies outside of your specs then you reject those parts that do not conform.

You don't just say, hey lads, make us a 9.7" screen, hey as long as it works it's fine. don't worry about any specifications or tolerances. Working is good enough.

You (Apple) the person who puts out the order to the sub contractor to make a part (screen) of a device are the one to blame for any variations as you are the one that has to set what is acceptable in the 1st place and you are the one that has to make sure the product that's being supplied by the sub contractor continually falls within your specified tolerances.