White iPad and overheating issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by j-a-x, Mar 11, 2011.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I know there were some issues with the 1st gen iPad overheating while using it outdoors in the summer. It happened to me one day in Vegas (it was only 70 degrees). I was wondering if anybody thinks the white iPad might be less prone to this issue. Since the iPad 2 is smaller and more compact I would think that it would be more likely to overheat compared to the original iPad but maybe they have done something to improve heat dissipation. I guess it's all speculation right now but I was wondering what others might think about this.

2. lolnick macrumors member

my iphone overheats if left in direct sunlight for a about 15 minutes. Im in texas so it can get pretty hot. I doubt that will change with the color of the ipad. maybe minimally

3. ArcAngel66 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm guessing the primary reason for the heat issues is the giant 10" piece of glass.

Ever stand by a window receive direct sunlight? The glass traps the heat like no other.

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

QFT. Pretty much any device that has a glass screen and left in direct sunlight will get rather hot.

5. tsekh macrumors member

I don't use a case for my iPad, and the aluminium back always gets too cold when using outdoor. I'm in Chicago and it's winter now :D

6. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Yeah, but the white bezel around it might help a little. Maybe the difference will be minor. Not sure though.

I'm not worried about discoloration, just the message "sorry your iPad has overheated...". I'm in TX as well, and I like sitting out by the pool in the summer (I know I'm weird, most Texans don't set foot outside in the summer). I haven't had problems with my black iPhone in the summer heat in TX but I was worried about using the iPad in the summer because of my experience in Vegas this fall.

7. Krandor macrumors 6502

White might be better since white reflects light and black absorbs it. Probably minimal though.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'd you're thinking about the white color being more reflective than the black, you have to remember that there's glass on both. It's what'll cause the overheating.

9. THFourteen macrumors 6502a

THFourteen

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

why don't you move to England.

we don't have problems with overheating over here :(

10. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

Just waiting for a waterproof iPad:D

11. rovex macrumors 65816

But he wouldn't get an iPad today would he? :D

I love London, wouldn't move to anywhere else in the world (delinquents, chavs you name 'em are a pest though with the sheer number they come in...)

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What I want to know is how you read your iPad in direct sunlight? I had my MBP out the other day looking at some stuff, and it was almost impossible to see.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, without question, I'm 100% positive a white bezel would help a tiny bit.
    Whether that "bit" is enough to notice in reality is of course another matter.

Any surface with black, and under glass will soak up the suns rays better than anything else.

However, as has been said, due to the majority of the front being the screen, I don't suppose it makes a giant difference.

A white cover/case, would of course make a much larger difference than having your iPad in a black case. if the case was closed and the item left in the sun for a while.

14. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I would love to hear any info from someone who has the new iPad, I really hope that it is more resistant to heat than the original version.

15. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA