white ipad: display alignment

Discussion in 'iPad' started by christof72, May 28, 2012.

1. christof72 macrumors newbie

Just curious..
    I have a white iPad and just noticed that the display is not perfectly centered, i.e. when in portrait mode I can see that on the right side the black gap bewteen the bezel and the LCD display is thicker (maybe 1 mm or so) than the one on the left side. Someone else has this ? I guess it happens also on black iPads but the black bezel would make that much less obvious. However it's not crooked and there are no cut pixels.

2. number84 macrumors 6502

3. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Can't say I've noticed the same on mine either. Looks good all around.

4. christof72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I'm not saying that all iPads have this "issue". I'm on my second one and the first one was even, at least I remember so...
    Out of topic, after 4 years of use I just noticed that my 20" ACD LCD is mounted crooked.

5. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

To remain sane it's not a good idea to look at display tech too closely. I noticed the other day that my Samsung monitor, which I've always thought was amongst the best displays I've ever owned, has yellow blotches here and there.

That said, if the panel is mounted wonky and it's obvious to spot, get it back to the Apple Store while you still have time.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

first world problems :p

8. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Mine is the same, slightly thicker on one side. Can't say it doesn't bug me a bit, but I have decided to live with it. Nothing is perfect and I'm sure I'll eventually will find an other issue with a new unit. Being anal is not good :-(

9. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

Well if you buy something expensive, I think you would want it to be made correctly.

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted

I would think 1mm is within manufacturing tolerances.

I think half the people on these threads need therapy.

11. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

He's inquiring about build quality. And maybe it's a sign of problems down the road. You on the other hand are complaining someone is inquiring, and then calling him nuts. It's you that is nuts. Go away if you can't be constructive.

These things have very tight tolerances. If one thing is off, how does his affect other things... Connectors and such?

12. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

He has as much right to question the poster as the poster has to post his seemingly overblown concerns.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Yes, build quality. In what world does build quality for a mass produced device equal ensuring alignment tolerances at the sub 1mm level? Do you really think that a 1mm misalignment is a) worth correcting during manufacturing and b) not within build tolerance? I mean, if it wasn't how would the device even fit together if your "constructive" assessment is correct?

The OP is free to "inquire," as I am free to find it absolutely ridiculous that folks are getting down to these levels of scrutiny.

OP, I think you should open the iPad, get a millimeter caliper out and make sure everything lines up perfectly. If not, send it back as you will likely have many problems down the road. If you really want to be sure, I would get down to micrometers.

14. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

15. sinser, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

I understand the op since I'm very picky too. As I said mine has the same thing.
    It's not a big deal, since the pixels on the display are not cut. I don't even think it will lead to other kind of problems, I just consider it a minor cosmetic flaw. I'll just try to live with it. Btw, the alignment looks very similar to this one found on flickr (yep, I'm obsessive enough to have gone through flickr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonywheeler/7102815507/lightbox/

16. christof72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a picture of mine. Not sure what to do with it, keep it or not. iPad is fine apart from this "issue". The OCD that lives in me would like a perfect centered one but I'm worried I would get something worse by swapping it. Not to mention that it would embarass me a bit to walk into the store and talk about this. Hmmm...

Attached Files:

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine is a bit to the right (so my left gap is bigger than the right one).

When did I noticed this? Just after reading your post.

Do I really care? No, it doesn't bother me.

18. christof72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you're right. I should just use the damn thing...

19. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

Wow, just wow. Apples QC goes from bad to worse.
    IMO, all these screen issues, be it unven screen tint, bad back lighting, dead/stuck pixels, dust/debre under the glass and now misaligned screens are NOT minor problems. They are in fact, glaringly obvious! This is the screen we're on about, ya know, that bright thing that you stare at for x amount of hours each day. It's not like it's the back of the iPad, though I've seen plenty of new iPad's with scratches and dents straight outta the box which ain't good either, but liveable.

Why should you spend between £399 and £679 of your hard earned cash on a brand new iPad for the screen to be defective? Does that not piss anyone else off? Or do you guys just accept the defects? I know I certainly haven't accepted it; it has taken me 9, yes 9, iPad's to get one that I deem to be acceptable (not perfect but acceptable). I bought 1 iPad 2 so I think that clearly shows I'm not OCD. This is the first electrical that I've returned multiple times.

Apple, sort your ****** out.

20. rob12770 macrumors member

my guess is, if you had bought a black one, you probably would never have noticed.

21. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

Never noticed what? The uneven screen tint, bad back lighting, dead/stuck pixels, dust under the glass? What are you on about here?

Fortunately, the 9 iPad's I went through were all aligned fine, well from what I can remember. It was the problems I've mentioned above for me (and MANY others).

And no, these problems don't have a preference when it comes down to iPad colour :rolleyes:

22. sinser, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

I think he was referring to the alignment. You wouldn't really notice on a black model. However, 9 iPads ? Really ?

23. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I think they should correct the quality of customers first. I bet QC would suddenly look a whole lot better...

24. rob12770, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012

rob12770 macrumors member

never had ANY of your issues, just walked in shop, bought ipad 3' job done.. where you buying you ipad ebay china ? :D

25. christof72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sigh...I'm lying to myself, after I have noticed this small imperfection I can't help but keep looking at it. Do you thing I will look too stupid if I ask for a swap in the store for this ? I'm still within 14 days....