white ipad: display alignment

christof72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Just curious..
I have a white iPad and just noticed that the display is not perfectly centered, i.e. when in portrait mode I can see that on the right side the black gap bewteen the bezel and the LCD display is thicker (maybe 1 mm or so) than the one on the left side. Someone else has this ? I guess it happens also on black iPads but the black bezel would make that much less obvious. However it's not crooked and there are no cut pixels.

christof72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Of course I'm not saying that all iPads have this "issue". I'm on my second one and the first one was even, at least I remember so...
Out of topic, after 4 years of use I just noticed that my 20" ACD LCD is mounted crooked.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Of course I'm not saying that all iPads have this "issue". I'm on my second one and the first one was even, at least I remember so...
Out of topic, after 4 years of use I just noticed that my 20" ACD LCD is mounted crooked.
To remain sane it's not a good idea to look at display tech too closely. I noticed the other day that my Samsung monitor, which I've always thought was amongst the best displays I've ever owned, has yellow blotches here and there.

That said, if the panel is mounted wonky and it's obvious to spot, get it back to the Apple Store while you still have time.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Mine is the same, slightly thicker on one side. Can't say it doesn't bug me a bit, but I have decided to live with it. Nothing is perfect and I'm sure I'll eventually will find an other issue with a new unit. Being anal is not good :-(

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68020
Jan 17, 2008
Big D
Seriously? 1mm. People around here are nuts.
He's inquiring about build quality. And maybe it's a sign of problems down the road. You on the other hand are complaining someone is inquiring, and then calling him nuts. It's you that is nuts. Go away if you can't be constructive.

These things have very tight tolerances. If one thing is off, how does his affect other things... Connectors and such?

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
He's inquiring about build quality. And maybe it's a sign of problems down the road. You on the other hand are complaining someone is inquiring, and then calling him nuts. It's you that is nuts. Go away if you can't be constructive.

These things have very tight tolerances. If one thing is off, how does his affect other things... Connectors and such?
He has as much right to question the poster as the poster has to post his seemingly overblown concerns.

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle

Yes, build quality. In what world does build quality for a mass produced device equal ensuring alignment tolerances at the sub 1mm level? Do you really think that a 1mm misalignment is a) worth correcting during manufacturing and b) not within build tolerance? I mean, if it wasn't how would the device even fit together if your "constructive" assessment is correct?

The OP is free to "inquire," as I am free to find it absolutely ridiculous that folks are getting down to these levels of scrutiny.

OP, I think you should open the iPad, get a millimeter caliper out and make sure everything lines up perfectly. If not, send it back as you will likely have many problems down the road. If you really want to be sure, I would get down to micrometers.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
OP, I think you should open the iPad, get a millimeter caliper out and make sure everything lines up perfectly. If not, send it back as you will likely have many problems down the road. If you really want to be sure, I would get down to micrometers.
I understand the op since I'm very picky too. As I said mine has the same thing.
It's not a big deal, since the pixels on the display are not cut. I don't even think it will lead to other kind of problems, I just consider it a minor cosmetic flaw. I'll just try to live with it. Btw, the alignment looks very similar to this one found on flickr (yep, I'm obsessive enough to have gone through flickr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonywheeler/7102815507/lightbox/

Last edited:

christof72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Here's a picture of mine. Not sure what to do with it, keep it or not. iPad is fine apart from this "issue". The OCD that lives in me would like a perfect centered one but I'm worried I would get something worse by swapping it. Not to mention that it would embarass me a bit to walk into the store and talk about this. Hmmm...

Attachments

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Here's a picture of mine. Not sure what to do with it, keep it or not. iPad is fine apart from this "issue". The OCD that lives in me would like a perfect centered one but I'm worried I would get something worse by swapping it. Not to mention that it would embarass me a bit to walk into the store and talk about this. Hmmm...
Mine is a bit to the right (so my left gap is bigger than the right one).

When did I noticed this? Just after reading your post.

Do I really care? No, it doesn't bother me.

christof72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Mine is a bit to the right (so my left gap is bigger than the right one).

When did I noticed this? Just after reading your post.

Do I really care? No, it doesn't bother me.
Yes, you're right. I should just use the damn thing...

Enlightenment1

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
Wow, just wow. Apples QC goes from bad to worse.
IMO, all these screen issues, be it unven screen tint, bad back lighting, dead/stuck pixels, dust/debre under the glass and now misaligned screens are NOT minor problems. They are in fact, glaringly obvious! This is the screen we're on about, ya know, that bright thing that you stare at for x amount of hours each day. It's not like it's the back of the iPad, though I've seen plenty of new iPad's with scratches and dents straight outta the box which ain't good either, but liveable.

Why should you spend between £399 and £679 of your hard earned cash on a brand new iPad for the screen to be defective? Does that not piss anyone else off? Or do you guys just accept the defects? I know I certainly haven't accepted it; it has taken me 9, yes 9, iPad's to get one that I deem to be acceptable (not perfect but acceptable). I bought 1 iPad 2 so I think that clearly shows I'm not OCD. This is the first electrical that I've returned multiple times.

Apple, sort your ****** out.

rob12770

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Scotland U.K
Wow, just wow. Apples QC goes from bad to worse.
IMO, all these screen issues, be it unven screen tint, bad back lighting, dead/stuck pixels, dust/debre under the glass and now misaligned screens are NOT minor problems. They are in fact, glaringly obvious! This is the screen we're on about, ya know, that bright thing that you stare at for x amount of hours each day. It's not like it's the back of the iPad, though I've seen plenty of new iPad's with scratches and dents straight outta the box which ain't good either, but liveable.

Why should you spend between £399 and £679 of your hard earned cash on a brand new iPad for the screen to be defective? Does that not piss anyone else off? Or do you guys just accept the defects? I know I certainly haven't accepted it; it has taken me 9, yes 9, iPad's to get one that I deem to be acceptable (not perfect but acceptable). I bought 1 iPad 2 so I think that clearly shows I'm not OCD. This is the first electrical that I've returned multiple times.

Apple, sort your ****** out.
my guess is, if you had bought a black one, you probably would never have noticed.

Enlightenment1

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
my guess is, if you had bought a black one, you probably would never have noticed.
Never noticed what? The uneven screen tint, bad back lighting, dead/stuck pixels, dust under the glass? What are you on about here?

Fortunately, the 9 iPad's I went through were all aligned fine, well from what I can remember. It was the problems I've mentioned above for me (and MANY others).

And no, these problems don't have a preference when it comes down to iPad colour :rolleyes:

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Never noticed what? The uneven screen tint, bad back lighting, dead/stuck pixels, dust under the glass? What are you on about here?

Fortunately, the 9 iPad's I went through were all aligned fine, well from what I can remember. It was the problems I've mentioned above for me (and MANY others).

And no, these problems don't have a preference when it comes down to iPad colour :rolleyes:
I think he was referring to the alignment. You wouldn't really notice on a black model. However, 9 iPads ? Really ?

Last edited:

rob12770

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Scotland U.K

never had ANY of your issues, just walked in shop, bought ipad 3' job done.. where you buying you ipad ebay china ? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

christof72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007

Sigh...I'm lying to myself, after I have noticed this small imperfection I can't help but keep looking at it. Do you thing I will look too stupid if I ask for a swap in the store for this ? I'm still within 14 days....