White iPads - more popular or less stock?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Brien, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Traditionally, Apple produced less white iPhone 3G/3GS' due to the perception that Apple sold less of them.

Is that the case with the iPad 2, or are they just wildly more popular? The Brea Mall store sold out of ALL white models within 20-30 minutes.

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

No solid info either way but since white is new to the iPad, I'd guess they'd be a tad more popular. Just my guess anyways...

3. MarioB macrumors member

4. eplasm macrumors newbie

White vs Black Bezel

Black or White bezel? The reason you go with white is it looks so clean and pure and nice but odds are it attracts unwanted 'attention' and for now it is easy to get. Next selection of choice is the black bezel and they are selling 5 to 1 for a very specific reason. If you are watching a video like say Avatar the last thing you want is your bezel on your sweet 7.9in screen to be any other color than black so as not to distract the eye as a white bezel will, trust me. Clean presentation is only an issue at 46in and then you try a mat grey bezel that Samsung did on their 3D Tv. Oh, there will soon be 3D Ipad apps that rely on the bezel being black. Have you noticed none of the new 3D flat screen TV have a white bezel? ... just an observation on my part. The choice is yours by your desire but think it through as a white iphone is different than a white ipad ... a black bezel makes the screen image larger because it disappears in your brain ...but white is white is white, and I'll let you kids work it out as we all look the same in the dark.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

There was a white 3G?

6. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

I think in the southern US the white ones are more popular

7. eplasm macrumors newbie

What a wonder ....

Well, I sit corrected ... it really is a matter of taste and that is what I love about this product ... maybe I'll get one of both and start a test survey, not that I can afford it - but to determine if my hypothosis has any legs to run. Or maybe I let apple give us the result of the sales ....

8. leenak macrumors 68020

I was the 15th person in line and was surprised when #10 or so was told that the white version they wanted wasn't available. I don't think they had it rather than it was already gone.

9. krnboy503 macrumors regular

more people went for white at the apple store i camped out at.

10. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

11. navanod macrumors member

I agree!

12. carlili4190 macrumors regular

My best buy only had about 15 white iPads and around 100-125 black

13. Durious macrumors 6502

I got my wife and I the white ones, looks cleaner and reminds me of my first MacBook in early 07! Great memories of a good experience!

14. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

2 whites here - don't know what else everyone purchased. Too crazy in the apple store. I agree with what everyone says about the black bezel and its effect on photos and also being less noticeable when watching movies....that being said - don't care - the white really looks good under the glass - its different then having a white plastic macbook. Also, its just a change. Change is good. I vote white ipad 2.

15. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

my thoughts exactly, if it was black on both sides like the motorola xoom, then i'll be all over the black ipad, but with the same aluminum back, it looks exactly like the ipad1, and my white iphone 3G (black front, white in rear). i need something different.