White iPhone 3G Light Leak - Back Casing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 7jjm, Sep 2, 2008.

1. 7jjm macrumors newbie

I went into the Carphone Warehouse today and they say that the light leak is "just the way they all are".

Does anybody have a perfect white iPhone 3G without any light leak?

Also, after the Carphone Warehouse being so unhelpful and not wanting to exchange my iPhone - I have an Apple Store near me, do you reckon they will exchange it or do you have to go to the place you bought it from?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple will ALWAYS deal with you. Make a Genius Bar Appointment and they will likely replace it for you.

TEG

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You'll get a lot more joy from Apple than CW. In general. Book an appointment and they'll sort you out. You could also call Apple care if you couldn't get there straight away - if you search the forum you might find threads with people who've already successfully swapped their iPhone for another one due to light leaks.

4. fireman13 macrumors 6502

while I don't have any experience with that company, I can definetely tell you he was lying to you. My white iPhone is flawless with absolutely no light leak. I agree with these guys and would just purchase it from apple, aleast you know they are reputable.

5. 7jjm thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant, your help was much appreciated. I'm in town on Friday so I will try and make an appointment.

Now I just hope they will swap it because also there is also speck of dust under the screen which really annoys me as it is right in the centre and also there is a dead pixel which is equally annoying!

Hopefully they have ironed out the issues now and I should get one of a brand new delivery!!!

HOPEFULLY.

6. 7jjm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, thats handy to know. I am going to really check the replacement one well in store.

I couldn't buy my iPhone from Apple in the first place which was a bit annoying because I was upgrading from my original iPhone.

Cheers.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wow ... I made a post about this the other day and got slaughtered by everyone calling me a whiner and what-not.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Ok if it makes you feel any better:

WHINER! :p

9. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

When you say "White iPhone 3G Light Leak - Back Casing" Are you talking about light leaking through the back of the iPhone? Am I reading that right?

10. fireman13 macrumors 6502

right on. Good luck, I hope you get you a good one this time.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

mine has no light leak

12. David2070 macrumors member

I've got a white iPhone and there are absolutely no light leaks at all. :)

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I have had 5 different white iPhones, from 3 different Apple Stores in 2 different states, all from different production weeks and they have all had the back light leak. Some were worse than others a little bit, but it's been in the same place in the same pattern on all 5. The geniuses (except for one that I had to argue with) took one look at it and replaced them. But, like I said earlier, every replacement has the same leak. I think it's pretty safe to say that if not every white iPhone has it, the majority do. I'm willing to bet that anyone who says there's doesn't, hasn't really checked. And if you have no leak for real, you definitely lucked out.

14. 7jjm thread starter macrumors newbie

When you took your iPhone into the Apple Store did you have a picture of the back synced to your iPhone or did you just describe it and hope they had a dark room to test it in!?

I hope they should just swap it straight away because there is also dust under the screen and a dead pixel that are annoying me :mad:. haha

Cheers everyone.

15. ribenaberrie macrumors member

I too think most if not all white iphones have some light leak from the back cover.

Would be interested to see photos of those that don't have the light leak. :)

16. Clyde099 macrumors regular

Mine has it, not worried about it though. Seems standard.
    Besides how often do I look at the iPhone's back while the screen is on?
    Uhm, yeah...

17. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Do you guys mean you can see the light through the back? I looked at mine in the dark and I don't see it. Please explain where should I look.

Thanks!

18. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

have no idea why you would be looking at the back of the phone in the dark..... BUT, mine is the white 3g as well and i havent seen any light leak through.... so... i dont know what people are complaining about if it's THAT much of a problem get it exchange....

if they dont exchange it and it is that much of a problem then RETURN it....

don't want to do either of those things.... tough $#!%

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Exactly. Who stares at the back of their iPhone in the dark, anyway? It seems like such a frivolous complaint ...

20. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I cant believe people actually think they deserve to get there iPhones replaced because you can see some back light through the back. Are you seriously weird or what?

21. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I think being able to see light come through the back would be kind of cool personally.
    I guess that's just me.

22. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm usually very fussy, especially when it comes to Apple gear but even I'm finding it hard to believe people are replacing iPhones because you can see some light coming through from the innards. The backlight inside is seriously bright, it's hard to imagine that there wouldn't be light visible through the casing on a white phone.

Still, if you're in the habit of regularly making calls in pitch black darkness then you'll be glad to know people won't see anything weird about the back of your iPhone

23. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

The more I think about it, the more I like this whole light leak thing.
    Am I seriously the only one who thinks that?

24. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I kinda think it's funky too :cool:

25. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway