White iPhone 4 being sold close to my house

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajarnfalang, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

I live in Thailand and I was shopping at MBK (lots of pirated games and movies and all that), and noticed many booths openly selling real White sealed in the box iPhone 4's.

I didn't ask how much, but I have to say, they look great in the Apple website and I was actually thinking on buying one, but to be honest, in person, it doesn't look all that nice. It takes away from the premium look.

I'm glad I have the black one honestly.

Anyway, if you are ever near bangkok, go and check them out and see for yourself.

My guess is they are imported from China.

[​IMG]

2. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what the big idea is over a phone in a different color

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. ajarnfalang, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

After I saw it in person, I don't see what the big deal is either.

It's on a lot of the booths. The endless booths of cell phones at MBK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and iPads everywhere.

Easy to get accessories as you can see

[​IMG]

I like the "Unlock" sign there.. They are not shy here about jailbreaks and unlocks for black market phones (if you buy it officially here they are all unlocked of course).

[​IMG]

I'll take a picture of the WHite iPhones next time I go.

5. terryfish169 macrumors newbie

Is the white iPhone 4 already released? Doesn't it get released next year? How can you have it there already?

6. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

It hasn't been released yet. I think they are coming in the grey market from China

It's being talked about on the net at the moment. We already have them here.

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/11/official-white-iphone-4-shows-up-on-chinese-grey-market/

The ones I saw there were just like this one

[​IMG]

They are displayed in the box differently. Instead of putting them screen side up, they put them screen side down to show off the white back.

At first I thought they just put a conversion kit, but upon closer inspection, you can tell it is the real thing. Then another booth had them sealed in the box. I didn't ask how much though.

Again, to be honest, they don't look all that nice. Actually, the white color cheapens it a bit.

7. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

How would you be able to tell they're the real thing? You can get entire kits now that swap the front, back, home button, headphone jack, and dock to white. And looks the exact same as the "Official" ones shown at the apple iphone 4 conference. I would be willing to bet a butt load of money that says all of these are DIY kits. Just saying :D

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

So the place is known to sell bootleg/pirated items

and you believe that they are selling "real" white iPhones that don't officially exist :rolleyes:

9. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

people want what they cant have.

10. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Yea, I don't think so, I was there about 4 weeks ago, and all the white iPhone 4's I saw, were dodgy.

11. GodlyDan macrumors newbie

GodlyDan

lol look at the iPhone Boxes below the iPad, it is NOT a 3GS as labeled. It is a 2G, but im sure they managed to get real white 4's but no 3GS's.

(sarcasm)

12. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Seriuosly, the OP made me laugh with that comment.

13. ajarnfalang, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

The phones are sealed in the box.

If you want them to make a black one white, they can do that too.

I didn't say I wanted it. I just got done saying they are ugly didn't I?:confused:

They are not saying that box has an iPhone 3Gs. They are advertising they sell it. That's all.

Actually, you can go to any booth, even one with all 10 year old Nokias and say "I want an iPhone 4" and they'll just say "Sure hold on" and come back with one.

I guess you've never been shopping there.

14. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Last night when I was watching the Blackhawks/Canucks game I saw a guy in the stands right by the glass holding a white iPhone 4. I guess it coulda been one of those after market kits, but it looked pretty good

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

These are totally fake ... as the OP said ... lots of Pirates working there.

They would even go as far to print the phone boxes and then shrink-wrap them

I bet the mall is flooded with them. :cool:

16. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

I never said they were real from Apple actually.

I just said they are selling White iPhone 4's sealed in the box and they look legit. That's all. I am not sure where they are coming from.

However, this is Thailand. Not many people can afford this phone. I paid 23,000 baht for mine. That's $766 US. That's a lot of money here for people who earn 300-500 dollars a month average.

I bought mine through the official provider here. There is no "Iphone 4" fever here, so I don't see the big demand for a white iPhone.

They are coming from somewhere, and I think they are bringing them in from China.

They are being sold openly as though they were 2 year old Nokias. Nothing secretive or special about it.

17. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Nope actually you did

Gotta love forums for this reason alone, I love when people try to change their stories

18. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

No. I said they were real White iPhones.

Then I clarified that I didn't mean they were real White iPhones from Apple. Meaning that they are official iPhones.

By real I mean that they are not selling Black iPHones converted to White. I mean they are selling White iPhone 4's. They are really white out of the box.

Where they come from, I have no idea.

I hope that clarifies it for you.:rolleyes:

I love forum flamers.

19. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Perhaps you should be clearer- when people say 'real' around here it generally means 'real from Apple'. Maybe you're trying to cover your tracks, maybe you really didn't know what 'real' means. Don't really care.

These are converted iPhones. 先達廣場 (Sin Tat) sells these. I have a friend working in one of there and this is what he told me:

-they duplicate the box in China. If you look at the label carefully it is obvious that the font is off.
    -the phones are simply converted. They acquire the white parts from (Foxconn?) factories producing these parts after-hours. Possibly from the same suppliers iResQ and other online conversion shops use.
    -Shrink wrap is easy- they buy a shrink wrap machine and everybody in the 'mall' uses it to reseal opened goods. Back in August, when the iP4 was officially released in HK, people would sign up for a contract and sell their official iPhones for ludicrous amounts of money at 先達廣場.
    Obviously, they would open the box at the carrier shop to check that the phone was ok, so after they sell the (new) phone to a shop in 先達廣場, they would simply shrink wrap it again and sell it as a brand new phone. HK people are extremely paranoid that they're buying used goods (when paying for a new item), so the 'peace of mind' that a shrink wrapped box provides is quite important.

Hope this clears it up.

20. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

oh... I get it. You meant they're selling the real fake ones....or wait...they might not even be the real fake ones? They could be real but exist only in your own mind. Like Inception......Just like how you might be thinking you're doing some girl but you wake up and find out that your dog is licking your penis.

21. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

actually he was right with his original statement, you just chose to interpret as in he meant an official Apple product.

They are REAL white iPhone 4's, just not an official Apple product.

dont worry OP - i knew exactly what you meant!

But yea, they are converted black iphone's as already mentioned.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Generally speaking Apple is the only company capable of authorizing the manufacture of "real" iPhones. If they aren't from Apple, they aren't real.

And anyone can get cling wrap material, a hair dryer, and use them to shrink wrap a box. Shrink wrapping is no guarantee that tampering hasn't occurred, especially if you have determined counterfeiters.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I see Macrumors has taken a turn towards Phenomenalism. This white iPhone is 'real' because it is white, apparently. The sensation it creates in your mind what makes it real.

Deep.

24. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

keep digging that hole OP, you had a chance to admit your mistake

"real and sealed", yeah that means exactly thing as a replica white iPhone

oh let's see what else you posted

"At first I thought they just put a conversion kit, but upon closer inspection, you can tell it is the real thing"

:rolleyes: