White iPhone 4 Conversion Kits

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by awadeee, Apr 13, 2011.

1. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I've been waiting and waiting, like many others for the white iPhone 4 to be released, and have been disappointed. I think I'm going to get a used iPhone 4 black (hopefully in shotty condition for cheap) and buy the white kit and transfer.

Questions:
    Will the proximity sensor work?
    Will the earpiece work?
    Are these faulty in all white conversions?
    How bad is the camera really?

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

2. SanFranKyle macrumors regular

Breakdown here:

Proximity Sensor will work at about 85% with the sharpie fix. To the point where you really won't notice it not working, just auto dimming and stuff like that suffers.

Earpiece will work.

All white conversions will have this, unless it's real high quality, which I have not heard of yet.

Camera is not bad. Without flash there is no problem. Using flash you may or may not have bleed, it's kinda luck of the draw. Might be able to fix it if you can find a way to block light bleed. Super low light conditions, where flash is definitely needed is where your pictures will be useless.

3. martynov macrumors member

Answers:

Will the proximity sensor work?

It depends, there are companies who know how to fix it and there are companies who do not. I have the five star shaped screws and in most cases with these screws, the proximity usually never works. Mine on the other hand works flawlessly so once again do your research and see which company can resolve that issue.

Will the earpiece work?

Im not even sure why people are heaving earpiece problems, i was watching the whole process of my iPhone being converted (Asking questions, being nosy, and annoying) and there nothing to do with the ear speaker being connected, removed, or disconnected. I do see something that might be a problem, the new speaker mesh i have in my white kit has glue on it so it might clog it up later on with dust.

Are these faulty in all white conversions?

You need to do your research and you have to really go into detail with each of these companies. If i was you, i would not trust anything below $200 unless its a kit.

How bad is the camera really?

I think over the time that i have been on these forums, i have heard so many issues with the camera and primarily because people forget to remove a film on the back or on the camera lens it self. Camera should not be an issue unless you're missing the flash diffuser, if you miss that then most likely you will have white bleed through. The only way a part can be missing a diffuser is if its really cheap quality.

Hope this helps

4. 28Fiend macrumors member

28Fiend

http://www.ifixdirect.com/

iFixitdirect looks like they have a quality swap kit, includes everything the white iPhone has. They even mention oem quality parts and no problems with the prox sensor.

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

Or you could just wait and order a legit one from Apple in the coming days. Some rumors point to preorders for the white opening up today.

But if you still want to buy a used black one I'll sell you mine for the price of a non subsidized iPhone 4 ;)

6. SanFranKyle macrumors regular

buddy's from them had prox sensor issues.

7. dominickator macrumors member

I have a white iPhone 4, so i'll tell you about my experience.

Mine doesn't work, but it's an easy fix. I haven't bothered though.
    It works fine.
    It is not, but the proximity sensor doesn't work on more conversions than the earpiece not working.
    The camera is fine. Even the flash is fine.