White iPhone 4 conversion

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jbutterfill, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jbutterfill macrumors newbie

I thought I might add my experience of converting a iPhone 4 to white. After reading several threads on the forum I decided not to got for any of the recommended sites as they all seemed to have problems non-authentic parts.

I took the plunge and used www.whiteiphone4me.com

I called the guy before I purchased and he seemed pretty helpful and assured me that the parts were directly souced from Foxxconn - who manufacture the parts for Apple.

I paid £120 for the kit and didnt need to send my old screen back for that price either (he seemed to be the most competitive on price too).

Upon receiving a few days later he was true to his word. When I took apart the phone (which isnt for the faint-hearted btw) the white parts were identical to the parts I took out. The white parts come with a new lcd too so no seperating off the glass like some had to with the 3G.

I used ifixit to take the phone apart properly. Once put together the home button didnt work - turns out that the button electrics that come with the kit were faulty, so I used the original electrics by carefully peeling them off the black button.

Despite this little issue I am really happy with the result, I do not get any light bleeding as some have mentioned - agreed, the home button is a little off-white but it is hardly noticable and the new lcd is just as good a quality as the original.

2. DarrenG macrumors regular

Are you still happy with the kit? i've been looking at two or three sights and had settled on the one from iphonefixed.co.uk before I saw the whiteiphone4me.com site.

Your comments sound positive, all good since fitting, any issues?

Also, I've watched all the videos and iFixit guides so realise that it's a complex install but how did you find it? Is is straightforward and just a case of taking your time or is is tricky?

3. jbutterfill thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a very involving process, you literally have to take the whole phone apart but it canes with the right tools to do the job. My only criticism is that when you put the phone up to your face whilst in a call it didn't switch off the screen which is annoying. The only way to fix this problem is to jailbreak the phone and install the app which gets round this problem. There are other fixes that involved removing the tape in front of the sensor or putting black marker pen over the sensor window but these didn't work for me.

4. DarrenG macrumors regular

I've seen mention of the proximity sensor issues with varying reports of its affects. Was your phone an early model or the later version with the security screws holding the rear panel on?

5. jbutterfill thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a new phone with the security screws, hope that helps. The kit I had didn't have the foil on the back of the screen where the sensor looks through

6. DarrenG macrumors regular

Ah thanks. Mine is an early model which, if I understand correctly, is less afflicted with this issue.

Kit ordered, should be here tomorrow. Then I just have to work up the courage to disassemble!

7. DarrenG macrumors regular

Kit arrived from www.whiteiphone4me.com this morning and I took the plunge and went for it.

All went smoothly except first time round I attached new screen and then realised I'd forgotten to swap the button!

After undoing the screen once again and doing that I put it all back together. Re-attaching the antenna was the only difficult bit.

Very happy with it all, the proximity sensor works fine, camera works as does flash and all in all I'm very happy with the quality of the parts.

8. rev3al macrumors newbie

Hi, I ordered the kit last week but it still didn't arrive. Do you have any updates if the whiteiphone4me.com is still working?

Thanks.