White iPhone 4 Front/Back Question.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Deadlocked, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Deadlocked macrumors member

Hello all, new member here :) Well I just wanted to ask a question, I've already searched and googled a lot on this topic but I can't really seem to find a straight answer. So here's the thing, I have an iPhone 4 (AT&T) all black NOTHING is broken or cracked or anything, I just simply want to change it to white.

So most of the post's I've seen are back cover only white ? Why not change the front as well? But anyway I know where to get the white back full housing but what about the front? I've seen eBay post's for like $4 or so for the front?

So would the conversion simply cost me less then $40 ? How would I go about this? Can i simply just switch all the component's from the black front to the white front? How much is usually the white front? I don't need any like LCD or anything just to switch the color that's all I need, Do they sell that or would it work ?

http://www.ecaseshop.com/apple-iphone-front-glass-screen-cover-white-p-3823.html

http://www.truesupplier.com/oem-app...ens-covers-white-pr-23843.html#Detailedimages

http://cgi.ebay.com/Outer-White-Fro...265223?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4aa960ad47

http://cgi.ebay.com/Front-Glass-Len...499932?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a63aebfdc

Would the above work? ^

Any help is greatly appreciated :).

P.S : I'd greatly appreciate if any of you can link me good parts I don't expect perfect OEM parts, but really close would be great and for less then $50-$60 ? Mind you I would be willing to exchange any and all component's if I have to from front black panel/screen to front white black panel/screen thanks.

2. dayumitzmark macrumors regular

what your looking at is only the screen..your gonna need the screen and the digitalizer.. the front usually cost 90-130..:D

3. martynov macrumors member

I got mine down with iFixDirect, i have the new torx screws which most companies cannot figure out why the proximity sensor is not working. A few other members have theirs done with them also. Do your search here and im sure you will find alot of resources on this subject. ;)

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

^ This. Changing the back is the easiest/cheapest way of getting a "white" iphone. Doing the front costs more money and is a little more intensive.

5. Deadlocked thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys thanks for all the replies :) But isn't the digitizer already on the iPhone 4 front ? Can't I switch it to one of those white front screens? Also are the NON white front covers less expensive like say I want to change my phone into a red iPhone 4 ? Front and back ? Would the front pieace be less expensive ? Thanks for the help :)

6. pbrogrom macrumors newbie

Good luck w/ that! I would be interested, please update.

7. dayumitzmark macrumors regular

yeah you could transfer the digitizer, but i heard it was kind of a pain taking it off, and having to glue it on the new screen..iono give it a try on your own risk..:D but if i were you i would keep it safe and purchase one with a digitizer already attached..:cool:

8. martynov macrumors member

I think that might be a little tricky considering that many have said its very much different from the 3G as it is fused together with a very strong glue. I would imagine you'll probably destroy your screen and digitizer both at the same time.

I've read about that article where the guy did his clear kit but i think he just removed the paint without removing the glass. I personally would not do a project like this, especially going into my iPhone not knowing what the hell to do, quiet stressful and time consuming.

9. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

I have actually done this martynov....its not as hard as think...... only took about an hour or so..

10. jhatz macrumors member

After with toying with a white iphone LCD/Digitizer that I accidentally broke, I decided to tear it a part a little. The digitizer and LCD need a good amount of pressure to pull off and even after that it probably wouldn't go on very clean and I would be worried about dead spots on the screen.

The safest, most straight forward way of doing it is buying the LCD/Digitizer assembly from Zeetron or iFixit. Full DIY kits run $150 on zeetron and a little less on iFixit I think. The text on the iFixit are black on the back plate which I didn't like. Zeetrons is the metallic silver just like the black iphone writing + icon.

11. martynov macrumors member

Interesting that you mentioned that, after much thought and consideration i took a trip down to ifixdirect who did my white conversion. They already have the white and black clear kits so i checked them out in person. I will post pictures later on of the back piece i got. Its pretty cool actually and about your bug with black letters, mine has the shiny silver ones we see on the white and black parts.

12. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Only reason why I never changed the front was because white, to me, makes the screen look smaller. I like the all black look on the front when the phone is on standby