White iPhone 4 front glass replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MacDaddy08, Apr 8, 2011.

1. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I just replaced the back glass on my wife's iPhone and now of course she wants the front replaced, typical. I know this is much more involved but I am a very technical person and have dissected and rebuilt multiple electronics so I don't think I'll have a problem with it. I reviewed the guide on iFixit.com and it seems pretty straightforward, just a lot of tiny screws and connections.

My question is has anyone else here done this? Where did you get the replacement glass? I have seen a few places but I want to make sure I get a quality piece and not junk. I also want to make sure everything is still functioning afterwards with the new glass so I want to make sure whatever I get is 100% compatible with no issues.

Any help is appreciated.

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

Did you even bother searching before posting? There are dozens of threads regarding this.

3. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

There are dozens on back glass replacement, which I've read, bought and already replaced. However, I haven't been able to find anything regarding best places to get replacement white front glass.

There are dozens of threads about the same skins/cases/accessories posted all the time, but this is not one of them.

If you don't have any information on the subject simply don't reply instead of being a douche.

4. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I was just able to find ONE thread, just ONE that talked about replacing the FRONT glass.

It helps but I would like to hear from people that have actually done this as to whether I need to buy the entire front glass/digitizer or if someone has successfully replaced just the front glass and transferred the digitizer. I know it's probably a pain but just a front glass is about $5-$15 where the entire set is $99+.

5. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Do yourself a favor and search more. But with that said, Ill give you my 2 cents since I've done it several times.

First, buy quality parts. Don't buy from ebay, the parts are hit or miss. Buy the entire front. Trying to separate and reattach the front panel from the digitizer isn't something for the newbie to attempt.

I bought from ifixitdirect before the CS went down the tubes and had a decent experience. Others after me had plenty of horror stories to share but from what I understand they are under new management and things are better.

How new is your phone? Does it have the phillip screws or the penalobe? If it has the newer screws there are mixed reports about the prox sensor not working with the white faceplates. (which is why I haven't gone back to white after a warranty replacement) My prox sensor worked about 50/50 beforehand and while I worked around it, it was a huge PITA sometimes.

As the actual process it’s actually pretty easy with the ifix step by step process.

A few hints/tips.
    -Have good tools, two kits are ideal incase you break bend or strip something.
    -Take you time, take breaks, and make sure you have room to work.
    -Take breaks. The screws are smaller then you can imagine and you can get a little cross eyed.
    -I printed out each page of the ifix teardown. For each step as I removed the screws I taped the screw next to the step to not loose track of anything.
    -Make sure you don't pinch or break any cables, it’s easier then you think.

Ill see if I can find the thread with my install and post a link.

(Update) See Page 4 of this very long thread for my swap.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1044644&page=4

6. iFiend macrumors 65816

Sorry OP. Although I think you could have found a lot of info through searching on your own, I took out my frustrations on you. The board has been filled with people that want everything handed to them when a simple search would do, especially since the new jailbreak came out. This, coupled with the "oh my gods I haz bricked my iPhonez" threads, and other threads where they have no clue what they are talking about, and I snapped :)

Good luck on your conversion.