White iPhone 4 going to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaybrad, Aug 8, 2010.

1. jaybrad macrumors member

I heard on TWIT (This Week in Tech) today a mention by Niley Patel, a person who works for Endgadget stating that the white iPhone COULD BE the actual mythical Verizon iPhone 4.
    When he mentioned this I remembered back on a story (maybe Mac Rumors) I read about how the FCC was going to delay releasing some additional/final information after the iPhone 4 launch. Well maybe something surprising might happen at this rumored mid-August Apple event.

Also, isn't it strange why the white iPhone hasn't been released YET? When was the last time Apple announced a product to ship on a certain date and miss it, not once but twice? Come on. :D

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Have to call no way on this one. Haven't listened to this week's TWiT yet, so I don't know the context of Nilay's quote, but are you sure he wasn't being sarcastic or hyperbolic?

I just can't see this as being true.

It makes for a great story though.

3. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Nah!:D

If Steve jobs said we would have white iPhones by the end of July

But then they failed....

I still think the white iPhone will be at&t:rolleyes:

4. jaybrad thread starter macrumors member

He didn't act that it was breaking news. No. But by the way he mentioned it, it seems they are starting to hear talk about it.
    It's seems far fetched, but it could definitely be real.

5. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I doubt it, I think Apple just didn't anticipate the difficulty of manufacturing the white version.

6. macmedal macrumors regular

Why would Apple restrict the white iphone 4 colour to one provider in the US when they have a global Market to consider ? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Especially as the White iPhone is already being advertised on global Apple Stores as not currently available.

There is no great mystery to this other than the fact they released the detail on a phone which didn't fullfill the quality control Apple expected when in mass production. It seems that thewhole White iPhone issue just reflects the bigger picture of pushing a product out when it isn't ready to be released.

Having said that they could coincide the release of the White iPhone with the release of a Verizon phone in the US to raise its profile, but they would make it available across other carriers and countries as well.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

So AT&T have worked together since the orginal iPhone Verizon in the mean time has taking shots at Both AT&T and Apple it's highly unlikely that Apple would give Verizon the white iPhone to market. that would not be good partnership wise. I still say Apple would naturally go to Tmobile 1st before Verizon but that's another story.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Think you should listen to it again. Finally played the last TWiT and Nilay clearly says that the white iphone coming to Verizon is a rumor that he and Paul Miller are trying to start and spread. Not that they are hearing it on the grapevine but that they planted the seed. Kind of remember them talking about that on an Engadget podcast too.

But, maybe you did hear what he actually said and are just playing along? :D

9. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

for the billionth time this is not going to happen! ive been a 6 year verizon customer and i have come to accept it. which is why im switching. and you should too!:D

10. McBeats macrumors 6502a

white iphone will be coming to att, no doubt about it.

11. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

The only confirmed fact known about the white iPhone 4 is that it's white. And an iPhone. A 4th one to be exact. And that it's unavailable. Anywhere.

12. jaybrad thread starter macrumors member

Doubters be damned

You doubt me. You doubt ME? Curses to you all! :mad:
    Just kidding :D
    Then whats the deal with the FCC holding back info on the iPhone 4. I think something is brewing. I feel it in me bones. I'm so sick of hearing about the iPhone coming to Verizon I'm about to puke. :eek:

13. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Engadget already has a lengthy article for why the white iPhone was delayed. It's no mystery and no secret plot to release it on VZN. It is a manufacturing problem. Period. Maybe, just maybe, if VZN gets the iPhone I wouldn't be surprised if they get the white and black ones, as AT&T should have them by then too.

"The company's screen-printing workshop may currently be dealing with some issues with the white iPhone 4 covers. Specifically, the factory's still working out the perfect combination of paint thickness and opacity -- the former to ensure the next sub-contractor has enough clearance for the digitizer overlay, and the latter for the absolute whiteness that Jony Ive and co. strive for"

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/18/white-iphone-4-delay-the-challenges-faced-by-apples-glass-supp/

14. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

I love how the fact that the AT&T exclusitivity deal is inked in till at least 2012 but people still start these dumb rumors. And even if by some freakish nature this was true (which it isn't) Apple wouldn't stick it to those who have already ordered white iPhones. And Apple would have to essentially design an entire new phone (internally) to make it compatible with Verizon.

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

not likely...I mean can you just imagine the backlash?

16. italeki macrumors regular

iPhone 4 White

There are recent news reports being released out there that the white iPhone 4 will debut within the Verizon company ONLY in it's initial release. Then the white iPhone will be available "in general" by the new years (2011) This is not fair. I still have not purchased an iPhone 4 just waiting for the white. I cannot break my contract, for ATT will charge me $375 dollars!!!