White iPhone 4 Verizon - Proximity Sensor Problems - Screen Protector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wootang00, Jul 21, 2011.

1. wootang00 macrumors member

Hello,

With a screen protector on the phone my proximity sensor stops working.
    Do other people with white iPhone 4's still have this problem?

I have read the other threads on this topic but seeing that it hasn't come up as a recurring topic. This leads me to believe that with most white iPhone 4's, having the screen protector ON yields no problem to the proximity sensor.

For those of you that have a white iPhone 4 w/ a screen protector..
    a simple YES (i have a problem still) or NO (i dont have a problem) answer would be great.

Thanks.

2. Fleon85 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No, I don't have any problem. I bought mine on eBay for .99 cents
    Ps I have also a white iPhone 4 Verizon

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Common problem. The Proximity sensor should not be covered. Most new protectors do not cover it. Cut a hole or get a new protector.

There are many threads on this. :apple:

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I did not know sensors were sensitive even to screen protectors, they are so thin. Good to know:apple:

5. Givmeabrek, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The sensor emits an IR signal which reflects off of your face or ear to shut off the display. The protector no matter how thin can reflect that signal back fooling the sensor. Since the white phone allows some light to pass through it is much more sensitive to that problem. :cool:

6. hamcan macrumors newbie

Yes and No

Here's one for you all to ponder. My wife and i both have Verizon white iPhone 4's

I have the InvisiShield drymount screen protector. And my sensor doesn't work.

My wife has the stiffer plastic screen protector. And her sensor works just fine.

Just plain weird.