white iphone 4 with otterbox defender

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by geosulcata, May 11, 2011.

1. geosulcata macrumors newbie

I just got a new white iphone 4. I shared with the verizon sales person that I didn't think the proximity sensor would work with the screen protector. He assured me it would. I got home and it would not. It works great with no screen protector, but not with it on. I bought an otterbox defender online and I cut out the clear protector over the proximity sensor. Now, it will work when I am in a very well lit room or outside, but not otherwise. Also, the auto-brightening has the same issues - work in well lit area, not in others.
    I called Apple and they said that the 3rd party sellers will be making new cases and screen protectors for the new white iphone??

Anyway, I like the phone. Any suggestions for how to get the proximity sensor to work when not in a brightly lit area?

2. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Can you not just cut out a hole for the sensor from a screen protector before you apply it? A sharp craft knife should make a nice professional looking cut if you mark it out nicely.

3. geosulcata thread starter macrumors newbie

I could, but the verizon guy put it on at the store and assured me it would work. It will not work with it cut out and with the otterbox white case on though in normal or dim lighting - even with nothing covering the proximity sensor.

4. NettaNettaD macrumors newbie

If you cut the plastic on the Otter Box Case....

Hi, I just brought the white Iphone4 myself today and i brought an otter box case as well, i was having issues with my Proximity sensor as well. I even brought it to the apple store, once i took my otter box case off, my sensor worked perfectly but i didnt want to get ride of my otter box (I would NOT buy an Iphone without an Otter box DEFENDER case) so what i did was used a box cutter and cut the plastic on the otter box case where the proximity sensor is located and my phone works GREAT now!!!! Just cut a whole in it and you would be good!!!!!!;)

5. cdavi060 macrumors regular

Got any pictures of this mod?

6. modelgado macrumors newbie

Easy fix!

I didn't even have to use an instrument to fix my otterbox defender to get the sensor to work. I simply lifted the small piece of plastic off that blocked it with my fingernail. Works beautifully now!:D

7. Wi11yum macrumors newbie

Iphone 4 (white) Otterbox Proximity Sensor fix

My iphone 4 (White) w/Otterbox Defender was having the same sensor issues but mine was purchased in August 2011. The phone worked fine when out of the Defender case, but inside- the proximity sensor did not. I did as others recommended- just cut out the plastic film inside the Otterbox that covered the sensor and now it works perfectly. The film has a black, vertical line over it and I think that's what the problem with it is. I'm glad this was a fix because nothing else Otterbox offers is as rugged as the Defender. If this doens't help, you may one of the affected earlier iphone 4's that had a proximity sensor issue. Apple was offering refunds or exchanges at one time.

8. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I have a factory unlocked white iPhone 4 and the proximity sensor works while in the otterbox case...