Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdylan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
Hey, I thought Apple wasn't making those white iPhone 4's? I haven't kept up with a lot of the news, but the last I heard the manufacturing process never got off the ground, and they finally killed the whole idea.

I was in Bangkok last week to get myself a new, unlocked iPhone 4, and every vendor at MBK had white iPhones for sale. They are real, not copies or bootlegs. So did Apple make a bunch for Asia?

On another topic, I was last at MBK 2 years ago, and every vendor had a wide variety of every phone out there, and of course, an iPhone 3G. This year, almost EVERY vendor had primarily iPhones and iPads. Even older, refurbished 3's and 3G's. You could easily see which brand was preferred. Blackberry had one or two large vendors, and about half the smaller vendors had a few Blackberry phones, but it was shocking to see the lack or variety as compared to previous years.

I bought a 16GB factory unlocked iPhone 4 for $850, and love it. The camera is the most awesome thing, I took my first picture with it; the coffee-cup I was drinking out of at a coffee-shop and was shocked by the color saturation, detail and clarity of it. I even kept the photo to show people as an example. (Geek alert.):apple:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
How can you tell they weren't bootlegs or copies?

There are many on this forum who have purchased those white conversion kits. They looked pretty authentic in their pictures. I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference if I saw them in person.

jdylan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
They were legit

These were all legit iPhones, heat sealed in the real boxes. I didn't see any copies in MBK mall at all. I got mine form a vendor selling both white and black, and my black iphone is legit. To be fair, there were probably 1 white to 4 black iphones on display.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
These were all legit iPhones, heat sealed in the real boxes. I didn't see any copies in MBK mall at all. I got mine form a vendor selling both white and black, and my black iphone is legit. To be fair, there were probably 1 white to 4 black iphones on display.

Anyone can heat seal anything. Even did it in high school class.

Got photos?

Peter.Howard

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Australia.
Sounds like some enterprising people are converting them over to white, opening them up, replacing the parts and then selling them, and yes it is easy enough to shrink wrap a package back up so it appears new.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

Also, to be fair, the black iPhone is legit because it actually exists. I have a hard time believing that Apple made them for Asia and nowhere else. Definitely sounds like they are converting them, and shrink wrapping to make them appear legit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.