Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
My friends and I were comparing iPhones and we found that the white iPhone 6s models appear bigger to the eye compared to the black one, even though they are the same size. Anyone else feel the same?

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
They look the same size to me when I was at the Apple Store comparing them side by side *shrug*

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I noticed that too when comparing my black iPhone 6S+ to a silver or gold one. Visual trickery at its finest.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
That is the illusionary effect on the brain that white has. Is why rooms are typically painted white, to provide illusion of larger than actual. Has nothing to do with the phone.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I have always saw it that way too. The white faced Plus looks like a monster. The black faced Plus looks big too, but it doesn't slap me in the face the way the white one does.

Reactions: gewawd

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
My co-worker has the Space Grey 6+ and I have the Silver 6s+ and the first time he saw my phone he said it's huge. He didn't realize that it was pretty much the same size screen as his.

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Black model has black bezels that gel with the display and make it looks smaller. In white bezels are more noticeable and it looks larger

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
AMOLED screens blend with black way better. The inky blacks when watching a video or when an alert pops up while the screen is off is less distracting as opposed to LCD when you can see the dark grey cause the whole screen lights up even though the notification is only in the centre of the screen.
On the white bezel, it's not as annoying since the dark grey is not as pronounced.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Well to be completely factual, it's almost a manufacturing impossibility that the two phones are "exactly" the same size. That would be a miracle if Apple could pull that one off.
To be pedantic, yes. However, from a practical standpoint they are the same size. The white device is not larger and this isn't anything unique to the iPhone as stated above. It's all in how our vision interprets black versus white.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Even though I understand the effect white has, when I compared white vs black in the store a while ago, they looked exactly the same size.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
To be pedantic, yes. However, from a practical standpoint they are the same size. The white device is not larger and this isn't anything unique to the iPhone as stated above. It's all in how our vision interprets black versus white.
Isn't that what I said to begin with? It's all about how our brains interpret black and white. And yes, within manufacturing tolerances they are identical.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
My friends and I were comparing iPhones and we found that the white iPhone 6s models appear bigger to the eye compared to the black one, even though they are the same size. Anyone else feel the same?

That's racist! :eek::cool:

(I had to get that in before anyone else did)

Mine is black so I think I'm going to go to the Genius Bar to get it replaced for color-gate. Which white model is the biggest?

Reactions: capathy21

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I do...I just forgot what a sense of humor was when I read your post. Hahahaha.

Anyways, let's focus on the topic please.

Well played! :(

Seriously, I think this is the same situation as why realtors want you to paint your house in light colors when selling it. It makes the rooms look bigger to have bright colors vs. dark colors. Obviously they are all the same size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.