Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Hello, this is my second 3G iPhone (first one exchanged for dead pixels and the white body not being flush with chrome) and this one has the body-not-flush-with-chrome problem too but i figured i would just live with it because im sick of going back and forth and who knows if my replacement is going to have a dead pixel, etc... But now i notice that on the back there is like a black line that extends the length of the iPhone right under the camera that goes vertically down the case, its like underneath the housing but i can see it still, its on both sides of the iPhone too right below the camera and a little below the headphone jack. Is this normal and i just havent noticed it before or do i have a little cosmetic defect and maybe can get it swapped?

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
You are being waaayyy too technical with your phone man :eek: I got the white one too and it came with a spec on the bottom, no idea where it came from, but hey your screen is good , and the only person who will ever notice anything you listed was you, No random person is gonna come up to you and say " hey your iPhone looks weird and not perfect" No one will do that (except for windows fanboys) but dont sweat it, besides AT&T or Apple probably wont switch it again , if the phone works great they dont see a problem

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
You are being waaayyy too technical with your phone man :eek: I got the white one too and it came with a spec on the bottom, no idea where it came from, but hey your screen is good , and the only person who will ever notice anything you listed was you, No random person is gonna come up to you and say " hey your iPhone looks weird and not perfect" No one will do that (except for windows fanboys) but dont sweat it, besides AT&T or Apple probably wont switch it again , if the phone works great they dont see a problem

Thanks....maybe i am being a little to paranoid....

ryanmanu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
yeh you are probably just being paranoid, apple wont replace it unless its a big problem, not just a faint line down the back

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
Man, if you're not happy with it take it back again. Apple is messing **** up bad, don't just take it lying down.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
You paying money, and this thing is always with you ... and it has to make you happy so be paranoid be a cheap ass it's your money you don't get them for free

cantankerously

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I wouldn't risk exchanging my iPhone for minutia. Chances are too high to get one with dead pixels, dust, or negative-black.

theunlocker

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hello, this is my second 3G iPhone (first one exchanged for dead pixels and the white body not being flush with chrome) and this one has the body-not-flush-with-chrome problem too but i figured i would just live with it because im sick of going back and forth and who knows if my replacement is going to have a dead pixel, etc... But now i notice that on the back there is like a black line that extends the length of the iPhone right under the camera that goes vertically down the case, its like underneath the housing but i can see it still, its on both sides of the iPhone too right below the camera and a little below the headphone jack. Is this normal and i just havent noticed it before or do i have a little cosmetic defect and maybe can get it swapped?

Ugh I feel you bernie! My left side isnt flushed with the chrome and plastic and everyday it gets dirt into there. And now i see the black line by the apple logo too. :/ they couldn't make a perfect iPhone. :(((

ibizarocks

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
hey my white iphone back isn't flush with the chrome at all and in the bottom left corner there are some slight chips in the plastic where it meets the chrome but no one will eeeeever notice that and at the end of the day, the phone looks damn cool with the white back and it's all about how it works and does what it does! having a nice looking case means jack in reality, it doesn't effect anything in the way the phone works or functions. enjoy the fact you've got one as there are probably millions out there craving one who would quite happily take that one off your hands and be content with it :)

mac'inmama

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
Southeast USA
I totally understand. Although I am waiting for my 16GB white iPhone, I wouldn't take yours off your hands because I am the same way. It was not a negligible purchase and if it's something that is not supposed to be there AND something that will bother me, I'd take it back in a heartbeat, too. It's not up to me to accept, it's up to them to get right.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
That is why I am gonna get mine from the apple store..I will check all of these problems out...before i walk out of the store. Dead Pixels are what I am really looking for the most.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I totally understand. Although I am waiting for my 16GB white iPhone, I wouldn't take yours off your hands because I am the same way. It was not a negligible purchase and if it's something that is not supposed to be there AND something that will bother me, I'd take it back in a heartbeat, too. It's not up to me to accept, it's up to them to get right.

I would take it back. You're paying alot of money (mostly on bills), but if its not perfect, then complain! It should be perfect. People here usually tend to oversee the fact that Apple isnt flawless. The Macbooks were cracking and now the iPhones.. You should'nt be hold back in silence, but go to the nearest AppleStore and slam your fist in the desk and say that you want another iPhone without flaws.. Then you unpack it in the store and tjeck it out to see it it's okay..

Maybe its just me, but I would do the above...

ibizarocks

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
back to what I was saying before though, don't you guys think that if it doesn't have any dead pixels and if it is 90% decent then you should just take that phone? you can inspect all you want in a shop buy you can guarantee when you get into daylight you'll find a problem with it. Also with all the swapping and changing, you may get one that is perfect on the outside but has a faulty part on the inside. it's just luck at the end of the day. my iphone has flaws as I 've said and so does my MBP (darkened cluster of 5 pixels on top left of screen). With my MBP I was just like yeh it has those but thank god there is no yellowing and no black beams showing up. I could have replaced the MBP under my 14 days but got a dud back. You'd probably end up spending £50 on petrol / car depreciation / parking fees etc etc if you kept going to and from an Apple store to get a perfect product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.