White iPhone Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rustybojangles, May 21, 2011.

1. rustybojangles macrumors newbie

Just out of curiosity. Had my BRAND NEW 2 day old white iPhone replacement today at Genius Bar with an "replacement" phone that came in a black case.

Would anyone here know if these white iPhone are new or refurb. The serial number starts in 88 and indicates it was made in Apr.

I'm HOPING it is not a refurb, is there any way to tell?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It could be a refurb or it could be new. It sounds like you have a refurb. There is really no difference beetwen refurbs and new phones from apple so its nothing to worry about. Just enjoy your replacement phone :)

3. rustybojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

Because of the time frame that the white iPhone JUST came out. I'm wondering if there was any time to even refurb these units and turn them around in such a small time frame.

I've heard both things, 1) It's a new unit in a replacement box and 2) It COULD be a refurb but there is no way of knowing

Not that I care, I just would like to have a 100% certain answer, nobody has been able to tell me.

This unit definitely performs better then the "new" one I previously had.

4. bbmiLo macrumors regular

I just had my black phone replaced twice in this week.

Originally phone had a home button problem.
    Got a replacement on Monday with serial # starting 6111.
    It had a warm screen problem.
    Got a replacement today with serial # starting 5k. Screen is still little on the warm side but better.

Some here have said 5k is the refurb.
    According to store, there is no way of knowing. All replacement come in black box, it can either be brand new, or a remanufactured (that's what they prefer to call it), no way of telling. They assured me that the remanufactured ones are just like new, I guess what they mean is, the case and everything is new, while the inside board might have been previously used in another phone.

In all honesty, the way I see it, as long as it looks like new and works like new, it's all good. It's a phone, most likely you will replace it with a newer version in a year, no need to sweat it.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

Nobody knows.

What problem were you having that caused you to swap it at the genius bar instead of returning it for a brand new one?

6. rustybojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

This is true, I am pleased with how it functions however given my history of switching devices I am worried the scratched up generic black box it came in will deter potential buyers when I list it on Craiglist etc.

It irks me a little considering I paid outright for a defective 32 GB model and would have potentially received a re-manufactured unit. A 2 day old defective phone should not fall in the same "replacement" category as a 8 month old used phone. Maybe the proper timeframe would be 14-30 days.

I guess Apple users are always presented products from that "un-boxing" experience, the fact of how the replacement process was a little disheartening. Again, totally understandable if I went in with a 8 month old phone.

7. rustybojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

The home button wasn't responding. Completely stuck down.

8. bbmiLo macrumors regular

You did not need to return your original box and accessories. You just give them the broken phone by itself, and they gave you a replacement out of the black box.
    That way when you re-sell, you still have the box and everything, no one would know it's not the original phone.

I definitely understand where you are coming from, I am sure they would give you a brand new phone if there is a way to tell, that's also the reason why I believe them when they said there is no way of telling.

9. rustybojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually they requested the box. They said they cannot leave me with the original box since the serial # and IMEI don't match... I would have preferred to keep the box but meh.

I suppose I can return the unit for full price and re-buy it, this appears to be the only way to get a new unit.

10. rustybojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just hoping there was an apple insider on here that had any info regarding if there are already white refurbs being shipped or not for replacement stock

11. baconroll macrumors member

This don't sound right. I have taken my iphone back because of a problem within 14 days here in the UK and I have gotten a brand new sealed phone in the original box. They shouldn't be dishing out refurbs after 2 days surely?

12. rustybojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

Did not sound right to me.... but they have a "seed stock" of replacement iPhones for people that require replacements. The new stock is for new customers.

The seed stock is compromised of a mixture of refurb and new units.
    It seems odd the consumer should have the right to know if its refurb or new.

I can only imagine the amount of hassle this has caused at Apple Stores Worldwide.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

They were actually incorrect, I have things replaced every few years and they have never once asked for a box, even when I had the iPhone replaced.

14. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

refurb serial numbers start with 5K i think....

15. baconroll macrumors member

Well sorry to labour the point, but here in the UK if an iPhone becomes defective within 14 days, then you would get a brand new phone, not a refurb. As stated earlier, I didn't get a refurb. Otherwise if this was the case, why didn't the OP just get a refund after 2 days, then go back in and buy a brand new phone? That's what I would have done.

16. rustybojangles thread starter macrumors newbie

Could be 5k or could be any serial I've read.
    I've also read all units not in retail boxes are remanufactured.
    There doesn't seem to be any truth to anything.

Can someone please clear this up.

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I do know the answer.

Refurbs ALWAYS start with 5K. But Apple ALSO has a stock that are BRAND NEW iPhones made ONLY for replacements (these start with 61....(as of 2011))

Source: 2 Apple senior advisor, and the manager of those 2 were the 4 people who told me. Take it for what it is.

18. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Exactly, why would you accept a refurb after just 2 days? :confused:

19. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Refurbs begin with a 5K, this has been beaten to death.

Also if the iPhone was just 2 days old you ahoulve just exchanged it out for a new sealed one. You have 30 days if your in the US