Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mom333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
I already decided I'm getting the 32 GB iPhone 4S, but I don't know what color to choose.

I love the looks of the white iPhone, but I'm a girl and I wear makeup. I'm concerned it will be hard to keep clean. Any feedback from current users? I currently own a black 3GS.

Ramsay2011

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
i got my girlfriend a white iPhone 4 and theres not a mark on it
what i would suggest is keeping the protective cover on it its the best screen protector by far

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I would like really honest answers here too. I used to have the white iPhone 3G and the back of it looked pretty gross, especially around the rim. What I don't want it to get dirt and crud around the home button.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I had a black 3G, a white 3GS, and now a white 4. The white 4 is BY FAR the easiest phone to keep clean. Even the inevitable finger smudges are hard to see on this phone, and a quick swipe on your shirt or pant leg easily removes them.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Hi, Apple recently updated how they do the white. They put glass over the white, so there's no discoloring over time. I can attest to this with the white ipad2, and I have heard this from 4 users. The 4S should not be an issue with discoloring. The glass protects the white and makes it shine!

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
What about discoloration along the rim of the phone, between the antenna band and the glass?

mom333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
Bump

Please - looking for more feedback from current white iPhone owners. Thanks!

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Here is my general experience:

White: Doesn't show fingerprints as much as black, but shows dirt/grime more easily
Black: Shows fingerprints much easier, but does not show dirt/grime as much as white

Pick your poison.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I think you would've heard some outrage over the white phones because of this, and I don't think there's been any at all. Most of it was antennagate.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Yea I was gonna go with a white one this time around also. I'm thinking the only part you would have to worry about is the edge around the glass. Maybe others who have white versions now can tell us how it is.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I think you would've heard some outrage over the white phones because of this, and I don't think there's been any at all. Most of it was antennagate.

Good point. If there was discoloration on the white plastic edges I'm sure we would've heard about it and nobody would be getting white.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I've had my white iPhone 4 since April and think I can definitively say that the white iPhone does not get any dirtier or grimier than the black one does. The band around the edge of the glass on both the back and front is as white as it was the day I bought it. When it gets dirty (yes, the white shows dirt) I just wipe it off.

I plan to buy a white iPhone 4S tonight because I like that the white iPhone does not shown finger prints and smudges nearly as badly. I can deal with dirt showing because a) how often am I dropping my iPhone in the dirt? and b) I can wipe off dirt and not get it back on immediately after touching the phone again, like grease smudges would on a black iPhone.

As a previous poster said, pick your poison. But don't avoid white because you think it'll discolor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.