Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
There is no way Apple would go ahead with a redesign. That would admit fault and open them up for law suits, backlash, and more hate. They can't quietly do a redesign because it's out in the media that's why the case is being given out. It's the paint job and that's what I always thought. Do you really think that Apple would redesign the white iPhone 4 and keep shipping the black one? Stopping production would be very costly and Apple would take a huge hit financially and reputation wise.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
There is a fix:

1. Remove thy pinky from the seam.

2. Get a free case from Apple.

3. Return the blasted thing.

4. Get a Samsung Galaxy S and secretly wish you never returned your iP4.

headcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
There is no way Apple would go ahead with a redesign. That would admit fault and open them up for law suits, backlash, and more hate. They can't quietly do a redesign because it's out in the media that's why the case is being given out. It's the paint job and that's what I always thought. Do you really think that Apple would redesign the white iPhone 4 and keep shipping the black one? Stopping production would be very costly and Apple would take a huge hit financially and reputation wise.

Finally...SOMEONE WITH SOME FRACKING SENSE!!!

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
OP said that they would do a hardware fix for the antenna issue. How is that not changing the design?!? Even if they were to put a clear coat or something on the antenna of the white ip4 IT WOULD STILL BE A DESIGN CHANGE BECAUSE IT WOULD BE DIFFERENT THEN MY BLACK IP4

Am I missing something here? Beside the paint chips...

A fix doesn´t have to be a design change.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Well look at it this way then: If they won´t do a silent hardware fix, they will have to just keep giving the free cases to everyone forever.

The silent hardware fix will be a much cheaper route for Apple.

You think a silent hardware fix that would require additional R&D, testing, retooling of factories, etc is cheaper much cheaper than simply including a 1dollar piece of plastic with every iphone?

Can I have what your smoking now?

OF COURSE THEY WILL NOT CHANGE THE DESIGN! *facepalm*

A silent small hardware fix isn´t going to change the design. People who bought the first batch don´t have the right to complain, they got free bumpers! :p

But they are still probably going to be quite pissed! :D

oh jeeze, someone who thinks a hardware fix is not a design change clearly has no experience in the engineering/manufacturing world:rolleyes:

If the fix is hardware related, it IS A DESIGN CHANGE

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I will laugh at your faces, when the white iPhones arrive and putting finger in the "weak spot" won´t drop the signal. :D

headcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008

If there is a fix (change) to the DESIGN it is a DESIGN CHANGE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU STUPID F%&^ING PEOPLE!!!!! :mad:

oh jeeze, someone who thinks a hardware fix is not a design change clearly has no experience in the engineering/manufacturing world

If the fix is hardware related, it IS A DESIGN CHANGE

Thanks god there is someone on MR with a brain today. Looks like it's me and you bud :D

headcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
I will laugh at your faces, when the white iPhones arrive and putting finger in the "weak spot" won´t drop the signal.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!! DID YOUR MOM DROP YOU AS A BABY?!?!

What part of LITIGATION and IRATE BLACK IP4 CUSTOMERS do you people not understand?!?!

I am ready to blow a gasket over here!!

8theapple

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
North
I honestly don't know why people are so against the possibility that Apple will be implementing a silent fix to the antenna issue.

Even Steve Jobs said they would be re-evaluating the problem come September 30. He has left the door open for something to happen.

And who is to say that the new iPhone4S or iPhone 5 will have the exact same design as the current iPhone4? Just like from the iPhone 3G->3GS? So fixing this issue now will be more cost effective in the long term.

Once the phone goes international, the antenna problem will be exponentially re-visited. They will be shipping the phone to 17 countries. Keep that in mind.

Remember, Steve Jobs is a perfectionist so you bet he is working with his engineers to examine the problem and has offered free cases in the interim. They already have the black iphones mass produced for international launch so they can't just destroy that batch.

And who is to say later Apple implements a warranty program where initial adopters of the iphone 4 can have their phone replaced with a new iphone4 that has the hardware fix?

If the issue was so cut and dry, Steve Jobs would not say they are going to re-evaluate the situation. He would have said to everyone, there will be no future changes to the iphone4.

But he left the door open.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
If there is a fix (change) to the DESIGN it is a DESIGN CHANGE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU STUPID F%&^ING PEOPLE!!!!! :mad:

Thanks god there is someone on MR with a brain today. Looks like it's me and you bud :D

You´re just a nitpicker and I still don´t agree with you, but ok let´s go by your "rules":

There will be a DESIGN CHANGE!

It´s so obvious, anyone with common sense can see this.

8theapple

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
North

What part of LITIGATION and IRATE BLACK IP4 CUSTOMERS do you people not understand?!?!

Litigation over what? Please elaborate. Have you even studied law before? All Apple has to do is offer a warranty exchange program for those early iPhone 4 adopters to exchange their phone for a new "fixed" phone.

Good luck trying to win in court. Any class action lawsuits launched won't stand a chance in court.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009

Hahaha! Very intelligent reply.

Did you know that Apple has done this with many of their products and many other companies do this all the time as well. They do little silent fixes here and there. It´s very common and you are not very intelligent if you do not know this.

Just trust me, there will be a silent hardware fix after September.

headcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
I am sooooo over talking about this to you knuckle draggers

Hahaha! Very intelligent reply.

Did you know that Apple has done this with many of their products and many other companies do this all the time as well. They do little silent fixes here and there. It´s very common and you are not very intelligent if you do not know this.

Just trust me, there will be a silent hardware fix after September.

You don't think that I know that companies make changes to current products? The difference between them and Apple is that this is plastered ALL OVER EVERYWHERE. The minute iFixit or Gizmodo realizes a "fix" has been made the **** would hit the fan.

If they were to make some sort of a change to "fix" the antenna issue they would have to offer EVERY SINGLE "old" ip4 owner a replacement or fix. You really think that they'd do that? They have already sold well over 3 million units and by the time your proposed "fix" is in place it would likely be 5-6 times more (underestimate).

So Apple is going to replace/fix around 15-20 million phones huh? Please tell me how they'd pull that off Mr "Common Sense" :rolleyes:

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
You don't think that I know that companies make changes to current products? The difference between them and Apple is that this is plastered ALL OVER EVERYWHERE. The minute iFixit or Gizmodo realizes a "fix" has been made the **** would hit the fan.

Maybe, so?

If they were to make some sort of a change to "fix" the antenna issue they would have to offer EVERY SINGLE "old" ip4 owner a replacement or fix.

Of course they don´t have to.

You really think that they'd do that?

No I don´t think that, ´cause they won´t.

They have already sold well over 3 million units and by the time your proposed "fix" is in place it would likely be 5-6 times more (underestimate).

They got free bumpers and they had 30-day full money return choise. Deal is a deal.

So Apple is going to replace/fix around 15-20 million phones huh? Please tell me how they'd pull that off Mr "Common Sense" :rolleyes:

They aren´t going to replace anything, ´cause they don´t have to. If people accepted the bumper deal, that´s it. Deal is a deal. You can whine about it after September of course, but that´s not going to help anything.

p.s. I suggest using a littlebit common sense yourself. ;)

8theapple

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
North

If they were to make some sort of a change to "fix" the antenna issue they would have to offer EVERY SINGLE "old" ip4 owner a replacement or fix. You really think that they'd do that? They have already sold well over 3 million units and by the time your proposed "fix" is in place it would likely be 5-6 times more (underestimate).

Is common sense not so common anymore?

Go back to the iPhone 4 press conference. Steve broke down the statistics of current iPhone 4 users who have called into Apple Care about the antenna issue. And the numbers were super small. Now I realize with statistics, you can spin statistics either way and make them support your argument. So even if they have shipped over 3 million phones, a small percentage of those people actually experience antenna issues.

Apple has done alot of things to appease the early adopters of the iP4. They have allowed FULL refunds within 30 days of purchase and are now offering free cases till September 30th. If you're one of the early adopters, and having antenna issues, Apple has given you ample opportunity to return the phone. Period.

Why would **** hit the fan?

Apple has acknowledged the problem exists and have given customers options. Return the phone if you're not pleased or use the free bumper we're giving you.

How do you propose litigation?

I think if Apple fixes the problem, it would generate positive PR which would circumvent the current negative PR the company is receiving over this "Antennagate." This would demonstrate that Apple listens to their customers and works hard and quickly to address concerns.

And for those who believe there will be no fix, no one has answered why the free case program runs till September 30th? Yes, it's the end of the fiscal quarter for Apple. But that's all the more reason to believe there will be a fix.

Common sense would dictate that, Steve Jobs will not formally acknowledge a fix is on its way because NO ONE would buy iphones until after September which would make for an interesting financial quarter for Apple because the iphone is one of the biggest revenue streams. By providing free cases and a 30 day refund policy till Spetember 30, it's a temporary stop-gap measure until they release a hardware fix. This is to ensure that iphones continue to sell, especially internationally.

PS. Read my signature.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Yes, the "better idea" will be the silent hardware fix thus Apple doesn´t have to give free cases to everyone anymore.

I disagree. A "silent recall" will spell the death of Apple.

It's one thing to come out and do a redesign but to do it and not inform current owners, never.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.