White iPhone4 and Otterbox= proximity sensor issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BHP41, Jul 2, 2011.

1. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

So I switched to a white iPhone 4 and have been using a Otterbox Defender on my black one. I didn't sell the case with it because I was going to use it for the white one.

I've been having proximity sensor issues since I got the white one and was about to take it in until I decided to make some calls without the case.

Presto, no issues at all. I put the iPhone in the case, made a call, held my thumb over the entire hole for the sensor and nothing.

Guess I'll write Otterbox about this. Just FYI.

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Yeah its a known issue. Will they correct it still remains to be seen.

3. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

Did you have any issues with the black iPhone 4 and the otter box or is it just a white issue?

4. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i've had black iphone + commuter and i haven't noticed any problems.

5. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

White iPhone 4's have issues in Defenders as well as with an Anti-Glare screen protector on them. This has been confirmed by me on at least 20 different White iPhone 4's.

6. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

Otterbox plainly states on their website that the Defender is not compatible with the white iPhone for this very reason.

With my white iphone the cheap Case Mate HD screen protectors ($8 at wal-mart for 3 of them) do not mess with the proximity sensor, nor do the PowerSupport HD or anti-glare...both work fine.

Wrapsol shields now have a cutout over the proximity sensor, ZAGG clear invisible shields will "break" the proximity sensor (I think the ZAGG anti-glare, case-friendly shield did work), and I have not tried Ghost Armor with my white iPhone.

7. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I just got a white 4 a couple of days ago.... The AT&T service person told me this.... I wasn't even looking for a case... It just came up in conversation

8. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

I install the PowerSupport all day every day and the IT DOES NOT work well at all with the White iPhone 4....

9. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I had no real problems with mine (HD and anti-glare). Maybe I just got lucky? I did notice the HD version made the sensor more picky...I had to hold the phone to my ear in a very exact manner in order for it to work, but as long as I did that, it was fine. The sensor performed without an issue with the anti-glare version...I just hate the way the anti-glare version messes up the screen clarity.