White line down PowerBook G3 Lombard LCD - not in screenshots.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mac1984user, Jan 20, 2015.

1. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I'm just seeing if anyone has any prior experience with this kind of issue before making a purchase of a replacement component. I have had to merge the components of two Lombards together due to a power issue with one and a cracked LCD with the other. Following the reassembly, I've noticed that there is a verticle white line down the right side of the screen ten or so pixels wide, which is present at all stages of booting and is NOT present when making a screenshot. I therefore don't think its a graphics card issue and I've checked all of the connectors to make sure they are fully in place. I may be wrong, but I think I need to replace the LCD screen and possibly all of the housing in case one of the cables is dodgy. Before I do that, I just wanted to be sure I had diagnosed the problem correctly. Any input would be welcomed. Thanks!!

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's likely either the cable or screen. Does it display the vertical lines on an external monitor?

3. mac1984user thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Sorry for the late reply, MagicBoy. The computer does display to an external monitor and the vertical lines are not present. It appears to be either the cable or the screen; I cannot determine any other specific cause for it. There are no particle effects elsewhere, etc.

If anyone else has any specific suggestions or observations, please chime in. In the meantime, I've ordered myself a Lombard LCD with cables etc. on eBay. Here's hoping it solves my problem.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think that the fact that it doesn't appear in screen shots or in an external display is pretty much conclusive proof that the issue is either in the panel or in the cable.

Replacing both(as it sounds like you're doing) sounds like the best-if not easiest-solution.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sometimes a bad cable will be evident by the position of the screen. Does the line go away depending on the angle of the screen?