White Login Screen

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by wlangelwl, Sep 3, 2014.

1. wlangelwl, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

wlangelwl macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm a first time poster here. I have the Public Beta 2 for Yosemite on my Late 2011 MBP. This beta is probably less stable than the first PB. However, there is this bug that is really annoying and no one else seemed to have mentioned in in previous threads.

Every time I boot my Macbook Pro, the login screen appears with a white background. Everyone else seems to have their actual wallpaper blurred in the log in screen which is how it's suppose to be. Mine is just a white screen with the log in info. So after it logs in and loads 100% then thats when my wallpaper comes in again. The picture attached shows what it looks like all the way until it loads 100%.

Is there any way to like reset the log in settings files or something? It's not something major but just very annoying.

Attached Files:

2. j800r macrumors regular

Look in your dock for Feedback Assistant. Report it to Apple along with every other bug/glitch you find. That's what the public beta exists for.

Also, I fail to comprehend your logic where the second beta would be more unstable than the first. That's not how it usually works. For the most part I've found beta 2 to be incredibly stable. Usable as a daily driver at least.

3. wlangelwl thread starter macrumors newbie

Having PB1 I had no such error or any noticeable bugs. However, in this current one, I'm noticing my browser has much more lag along with the current problem. That is why I said the second beta seems more unstable.

I did submit this to Apple but I was seeing if anyone else out there had this problem and possibly a solution.

4. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Do you, by any chance, have FileVault enabled? That could be what's causing the difference in behavior.

Could be wrong, but doesn't hurt to ask.

5. wlangelwl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me. For some reason Firevault was on! it's currently encrypting all my files when I never told it to. Now I can't even stop it and have to wait it out. It says 12 hours to encrypt. Are you kidding me.. :confused: I wont know what happens until this is done but I will get back to you when I know.

6. j800r macrumors regular

and you truly never turned it on yourself? :s

Interesting...
    It's off for me and options are locked so it would need admin privileges to be turned on anyway. :s

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who just doesn't seem to be running into any bugs. Over than a slight graphical glitch in Notification Centre everything else has been plain sailing.

Apologies also if you thought I was patronising you. There are many non-devs who somehow get their hands on the developer previews and then complain when they have issues. Also with the public beta I fear some may misunderstand it and not know what to do when they find a bug.

First thing must ALWAYS be to use Apple's built in feedback tool to let them know. They want to know and NEED to know. That's why they released the beta. I don't expect them to catch everything as there are always those obscure bugs affecting the very small minority but most major issues should all be ironed out come release. Hell, the performance of this beta for me almost feels release ready.

7. wlangelwl thread starter macrumors newbie

It's cool man. Actually I think I may have turned it on accidentally when installing PB2 when it gives you prompts to turn on different features after a update. I wish I didn't because Now I have to wait about 12 hours for it to finish. Looking it up, it is Filevault that is causing the White screen but it doesn't seem like a bug, they meant to do it. I'll report back when I decrypt my Mac.

8. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Even if the white login screen is intentional, you can still file a bug report. Let Apple know you think it's best that the login screen is consistent, despite the mode of encryption.

9. wlangelwl thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey so I just wanted to confirm with you guys that indeed the problem stems from when your Mac is encrypting or decrypting for Filevault use. After about 14 hours of encrypting and finally decrpyting, my Mac is back to normal. No more white screen. So thanks for everyone who helped! :D

I submitted a report just in case.

10. j800r macrumors regular

Hope you gave it low priority as if it's intentional then it's a suggestion/request and not a bug. :p

Can't imagine them changing that tbh. Perhaps it's their way of telling you FileVault is on.