White Mac Book vs Black Mac Book prices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kavi, Nov 14, 2007.

1. kavi macrumors member

kavi

I can't figure out why the black macbook costs more than the white one with the same options.

from apple.ca:

13-inch: black, 2.2GHz

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    160 GB hard drive
    Double-layer SuperDrive

price: $1649.00

13-inch: white, 2.2GHz

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    120 GB hard drive
    Double-layer SuperDrive

price: $1449.00

ugrading the white macbook to a 160GB hard drive brings the price up to $1531.00

so I can't understand why a black laptop costs over $100 more than an identical white laptop.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

because the people who really want the black one will pay the extra amount.

3. kavi thread starter macrumors member

kavi

are you serious? people will pay over $100 for black plastic?

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Make that scratch resistant plastic :p and +40GB HDD

5. sportsnut macrumors regular

:D

And some people will pay $100 less for inferior white plastic that scratches, discolors and looks like something out of a toybox.;)

6. kavi thread starter macrumors member

kavi

so it's not the same plastic. the black pastic is much higher quality then?

7. smadder macrumors member

Sucks doesn't it? I wish it was a free option. They could jack the top of the line up w/ 2GB RAM and a 200GB HD and make THAT the high-end MB. It would be great to have a choice between cases for the mid-line model w/o cost. I understand the entry one sticking w/ white b/c it keeps manufacturing costs low (although no Superdrive is so weak... a combo drive is ridiculous).

I'd rather have a Blackbook, but can't justify the extra $$.

Depends on what you consider "quality." They are the same polycarbonate, but with different finishes. The black hides everyting better due to the mattte finish and it's black. White high gloss shows everything. Black is much more scratch resistant and not as fingerprint friendly. It also doesn't catch palm dirt like the palm rest area on the white models. The black casing is matte polycarbonate, the white is typical Apple high-gloss polycarbonate. Still really tough, but takes scratches, fingerprints and dirt a lot easier because of the gloss.

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I have a blackbook, but I would actually prefer the white. There is just something about the whitebook...

9. bubblegum80 macrumors member

Worse thing about "Blackbooks" is that nothing Apple goes with them. All the cables are white, Airports are white, ect.

10. Enigmur macrumors newbie

I didnt think of that, that would suck

11. smadder macrumors member

It just sucks that it's so much more. But that's Apple. In the end, it all retains it's value incredibly well, and they perform the same... I got to get some great upgrades in RAM and HD aftermarket instead of spending the extra on a black case. In the end, it depends on what you dig.

It is cool to see the Bright Apple on the lid of a Black MB though :)!

Wouldn't an anodized black aluminum MBP look cool though (like the latest black iPod classic front fascia)? I'd save, sell and upgrade for something that badass... It would probably have a $550 hike for it ;).

12. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

Apple did the same thing when they released the either the first or second generation Nano. You could only get the Black nano with 8gb, which meant spending more. And yeah, they can charge a hundred more, because people will pay it.

I love the white, its inherently apple, I'd love to have both though, because the Blackbook looks really nice, and at night the apple looks like it is floating in mid-air.

13. smadder macrumors member

Nanos

Yeah, that did suck. Esp for anyone who wanted an 8GB nano and didn't want black. and now they are only $149 refurb... and they were what... $229 new? $10 less than the 5.5 gen iPod Video low-end, I think... they seemed to have adjusted the playing field better this time around... I'm still holding out for a 16GB nano... it's gotta happen sooner or later.

14. kavi thread starter macrumors member

kavi

yeah but with the black nano didn't you at least get an extra 4GB of storage in addition to the colour? here it's just the colour.

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

As an owner of both (currently white) I must say I prefer the black. Both are fingerprint magnets but there is a noticeable different in the finishes that makes the black design more than just a different paint colour thrown in.

Also there's something classier about it :D You can spot a white MacBook a mile away, but the Blackbook creeps right up on you then.. BAM! That's not an HP at all!

afaik they were the same price as the whites until the 2G Nano anyway...

16. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

When I went in and bought mine last week he said, "You know that this one has the black tax on it right?" I was willing to pay the extra $100.00 for the black casing cuz it matched with the rest of my stuff.

17. jmack549 macrumors 6502

???

18. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I love consumerism, it's what makes this world so great!

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

heh, didn't notice that. I bet the white mighty mouse matches the blackbook well :D:apple:

20. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Ok, ok I know it's dumb, I get enough sh** about it from my roommates but let me lay it out for you. Black TV + white 360 and Wii and speakers. Black computer plus all white accessories. I know. Start laughing. I'm used to it. What can I say, I could probably be the first straight male interior designer if I wanted to.

21. feyn-man macrumors regular

It's a secret of apple. The fact is the black plastic is a new high tech material. When you use it, you will have no mosquito around you!!!!!!!!!!!

22. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Oh, I wasn't questioning your sexuality. I was merely pointing out the flaw in your post, thus crushing your status on this board.

23. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Wow. I hope for your "status on this board" that was a poorly worded joke...