White macbook 1,1 bat replacement help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shockerbook, Nov 30, 2011.

1. shockerbook macrumors newbie

Hi fellow mac users!
    I own a macbook 1,1 (mid 2006) it has a battery that was replaced under warranty on 2007 because it stopped charging for no apparent reason. Anyways the current battery is holding less charge (average lasts 1hr 45min) and i wish to replace it and was wondering were i could buy a good replacement battery on a +/- $90 budget. Are there replacement batteries with more capacity than the original? was wondering since some devices do (like the psp).

Also check this out my current battery has 1090 cycles and has 90% battery health! I dont know why but could be because i use a 85w charger that i bought when the original 60w broke... any thoughts?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 85w charger has nothing to do with the battery's longevity. If the battery's health is still at 90%, you really don't need to replace it. Macbook batteries are the same for all Macbooks with removable batteries, except the colour. New ones from Apple cost $129, but you can swap out your old one and get a new one for $100.

3. shockerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

but its holding less charge, it never reaches 3hrs, it used to go up to 3:30 while doing simple tasks like typing on word, now it only says 1:45 while doing the same. also its impossible to actually be on 90% health after 1000+ cycles the battery chemically ages. But may i point out that the 85w charger in fact charges faster than the 60w and stays cooler too.

also thanks for the tip on the $100 swap!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While the 85w stays cooler, the Macbook still only draws a maximum of 65w. Its power circuits are not designed to accept anymore then that. And while it is uncommon for a 1000 cycle battery to be at 90% health, it is possible. Just like its uncommon for a 1,000,000 mile car to have its original engine, but its been done.

5. shockerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

oh well thanks anyway ure help is appreciated :) but im certain that the battery in fact lasts less because i never see it go over 3hrs like it used to ;)

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

7. shockerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

found this screen shot of my battery about 3 yrs ago it has been a little crazy reading 5hrs 30min on 80% lol

Attached Files:

8. shockerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

yes about 5months ago i usually do so every 6 months but it has never gone under 85% health

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's when it was running Tiger. I'm guessing that its now on Snow Leopard. The newer operating systems aren't as forgiving with battery life as Tiger was.

10. shockerbook thread starter macrumors newbie

nope running leopard going to upgrade to snow now on dicember but it started doing the lower than 3hrs readings since it was on tiger so yeah (updated to leopard last year)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would never trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple. Also, calibration should be done every 30-60 days, if you want to keep your battery indicator accurate. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: