White Macbook 2.4GHz needs Microsoft office.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WindowsTraitor, Sep 8, 2009.

1. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

Hi,

My girlfriend has a white mb and I have a dilema. She needs to have MS words, because she cannot use Neo Office (compatibility issues with other colleagues).

The options are:

Install Windows Vista home premium 64 bit for 95$ and then instal MS office 2007(we have a copy already)

Instal MS office for mac at a cost of 107$

I think her HD is 160GB. I have the first set up on my MBP with 60gb dedicated to Windows, and I prefer it. Would it run smooth on an MB?

Which configuration do you recommend. The most important thing to consider is that she does not know much about computers, and I am not there to do the boot camp set up and windows installation. So I already imagine how pissed I will get trying to explain her what to do.( I will do this over the phone)

Thanks

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I was going to suggest going the boot camp route, but I think if she doesn't know much about computers, and you can't do it for her, definitely go for the Mac version of Office. It's become a lot better since it's release. I don't use it regularly - mostly use iWork here, but Office is still good!

3. a8ball macrumors newbie

Third option

You can install Crossover Mac for $40 and install the Windows version of Office right on OS X. 2007 is supported

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You're torn between installing Windows Office vs. the mac version for $12?

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

<Shrug> some people like to save every penny. I'd go for the Mac Office, I hate the Windows 2007 layout... :cool:
    Also, who wants Vista? :S

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it's an issue of $12, why does one need the 64-bit Home Premium version of Vista to run Office? Since you have the Office license, wouldn't buying a cheap used copy of XP do you just fine?

7. doctoree macrumors 6502

Maybe there is another, cheaper more elegant option:
    Apple iWork, with Pages. It can read and write Word Documents.
    And you don't have to touch a MS product.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That or OpenOffice for free.

By the time we get done with this guy he'll have checks showing up in his mail box. :D

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'd imagine the "Compatibility problems with other colleagues" is the issue.

iWork doesn't read/write Office Documents natively, it converts to/from them (which is not a good idea for compatibility and really shouldn't be used in a work situation IMO).

OpenOffice is better, but still might not work (especially if NeoOffice didn't).

I'd say the choice is really between:

- Simplicity of just using Mac OS X but paying a bit more
    - The possibilities that are opened up by having Windows installed (not just Office)

10. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replies,

I am tempted to try the crossover mac, but I am afraid that she will then get a crossover blue screen of death. Is anyone using this option? Can you give user experience.

As I said, for me it is very important to adopt the least tech-solution, because I will have to install whatever I choose in remote, and although, I can make the initial set up using Ichat desktop sharing, the difficult parts comes later when you install windows....

Regarding the 64 bit, I purchased that one for my MPB so I used that as a reference. Vista runs great on my MBP, but I've decided not to use it during the summer....too hot:)

I will not consider NEO office, open office etc, because this will create me problems (she will be asking me why this does not work etc etc how you convert files etc etc)

So in conclusion, if the crossover can simulate the same windows experience ( same layout, functions etc,) I will probably go for this as I can install all using Ichat, and I can troubleshoot as well.

there is an additional cost with installing windows which is the Antivirus software.

crossover mac?

11. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

If she requires it for work, shouldn't her job pay for it?

12. a8ball macrumors newbie

Read info on Crossover Mac here http://www.codeweavers.com/
    It doesn't actually boot windows so there is no blue screens. Its a paid for version of whats called WINE that comes with support. Take a read at the site it may do what you want with the cheapest cost. I have used it in the past for office and I use it daily to run Quicken 2009 and some Windows games without having to leave Mac OS. You can download a demo for 30 days first to see if it does what you want before you buy.

13. WindowsTraitor thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, thanks, I think I will do that. She is sending her laptop to apple ( hairline cracks ) and as soon as she gets it back I will download the free trial. I will also download it on mine to try it out.

thanks

14. rubirock macrumors regular

When I first got my mbp, I got the iWork suite for my wife, thinking that it should work just fine. She had lots of problems trying to get docs created in pages to retain formatting when saved as .doc files and other little stuff and became very frustrated with the program.

I have since gotten her the Office for Mac and she is a happy camper.

so my advice, particularly if she needs office for work, would be to skip all of the intermediate steps and go straight to Office for Mac. you wont have to worry about installing windows or bothering with other solutions that might not work right all the time.

good luck.