Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Hi

I have a white Macbook A1181 which I have upgraded the ram to 4gb and the HDD from 160gb to 320gb. Currently it is set up to bootcamp from Snow Leopard to Windows Vista (I know crap but the only legal copy I had of Windows at the time). I would like to upgrade to Mountain Lion but if I had read it correctly , Mountain Lions Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 up.

Also I am wondering if this Macbook would run Mountain Lion well as it came from Leopard to Snow Leopard okay but this is a different jump

Thanks

TimCS

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Can you post more specs of the MacBook? I know you have the model, but I think that model has a couple configurations.

I know early 2008 MacBooks supposedly cannot run Mountain Lion. The late 2008 MacBooks can run ML. Upgrading the ram was good because it will want a little more ram, of course.

As for bootcamp and windows, oddly, it seems Apple believes Vista doesn't run on the early 2008 MB. I think that is what you have, right? Here's some info on windows on the Mac.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634?viewlocale=de_de&locale=de_de

Screen Shot 2013-06-27 at 8.56.54 AM.png

Also, a very large but useful thread on installing ML on unsupported Macs.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1325709/
May be worth your time.

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Can you post more specs of the MacBook? I know you have the model, but I think that model has a couple configurations.

I know early 2008 MacBooks supposedly cannot run Mountain Lion. The late 2008 MacBooks can run ML. Upgrading the ram was good because it will want a little more ram, of course.

As for bootcamp and windows, oddly, it seems Apple believes Vista doesn't run on the early 2008 MB. I think that is what you have, right? Here's some info on windows on the Mac.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634?viewlocale=de_de&locale=de_de

View attachment 420179

Also, a very large but useful thread on installing ML on unsupported Macs.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1325709/
May be worth your time.

Sorry the model number is 5,2 is this is what you are referring to . However Vista does run fine on this model as it stands now, however I thought that in Mountain Lion it stopped supporting that and earlier versions.

Thanks

TimCS

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sorry the model number is 5,2 is this is what you are referring to . However Vista does run fine on this model as it stands now, however I thought that in Mountain Lion it stopped supporting that and earlier versions.

Thanks

TimCS

Sort of. Do you have a 2009 MacBook?
Is it a C2D 2.0 or 2.13ghz? I guess it matters, sort of.

So it seems like it should be able to run ML. I guess ML takes Boot Camp 4, which says it wants Windows 7. However, reports are suggesting that you can run Vista if you use Parallels. If this is all coming down to you wanting ML and then being stuck without the Windows partition because you don't have anything more than Vista, then I think you can look at something other than boot camp.

References: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818

I only think I know this because I upgraded a 2009 Mac Mini C2D 2.0 with 4GB ram to ML last week. When I went to use my Win XP disc to install windows, I read it wasn't supported. :( I should have stuck with SL but I just had to see what all the fuss was about.

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011

So it seems like it should be able to run ML. I guess ML takes Boot Camp 4, which says it wants Windows 7. However, reports are suggesting that you can run Vista if you use Parallels. If this is all coming down to you wanting ML and then being stuck without the Windows partition because you don't have anything more than Vista, then I think you can look at something other than boot camp.

I only think I know this because I upgraded a 2009 Mac Mini C2D 2.0 with 4GB ram to ML last week. When I went to use my Win XP disc to install windows, I read it wasn't supported. :( I should have stuck with SL but I just had to see what all the fuss was about.

I think it is a Core 2 Duo not sure of the speed though (not with it at the moment). I do have parallels but one version is old which is 5 and the other version (8) is being used to run Windows 7 Home on my other Macbook. I am reluctant to try and use Windows 7 on both machines because of how MS works with it licenses

Also Vista is an OEM and I had to ring MS when I removed it from a Virtual installation to boot camp because it would not except being re-installed until I spoke with someone from MS

Thanks

TimCS

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Another thought on this with Windows Vista OEM is if I bought Windows 8 and upgraded it. However would Windows 8 work on Snow Leopard bootcamp prior to upgraded to Mountain Lion? . I suspect if I tried to Upgrade to Mountain Lion first, It would either wipe or make Vista unusable ?

Thanks

TimCS

timcs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011

Now at this Mac , from about this Mac it states that the processor is a 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo - as stated it has 4gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM .

Look a the More Info section, Also on Snow Leopard the version of Boot Camp is 3.0.4 so I am confused over the link and table details you have posted saying that boot camp needs to be 4 for vista?

Thanks

TimCS

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Now at this Mac , from about this Mac it states that the processor is a 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo - as stated it has 4gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM .

Look a the More Info section, Also on Snow Leopard the version of Boot Camp is 3.0.4 so I am confused over the link and table details you have posted saying that boot camp needs to be 4 for vista?

Thanks

TimCS

Apple published that it requires Bootcamp v4.0 to run Vista. You're capable of running it under 3.0.4. I don't know why, but I would just assume it is Apple being conservative with their requirements.

Your machine will run Mountain Lion, but I feel like I can safely guarantee that you cannot run Bootcamp 3.0.4 on Mountain Lion. If you want ML, you have to consider the possibility that you cannot run Vista. No amount of googling tells me otherwise.

Here is info on upgrading Vista to Windows 7 from Apple.

Here is a thread on Vista to Win 8.

So your original concerns are can your machine run ML efficiently? Yes, it can. I have the same specs and I am running it just fine.
Can you continue to use Windows Vista on Bootcamp 3.0.4? No, it doesn't appear so.

You need to upgrade to ML, get a copy of Win 7 or 8, and run the appropriate version of Bootcamp or try another virtualization solution but I think any other solution would appreciate more ram. I could be wrong on that. If you can get a free trial of something then you can always try it out.

Also, look into upgrading from Vista to Win 7 or 8. See if MS still offers some special pricing or if you're a student, see if you have any discounts. Final resort is a reputable third party seller I suppose. I need to address this all myself so that's the route I'd go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.