White MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mortenandersen, Jun 22, 2011.

1. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Anyone else who would like to have a WHITE MacBook Air? Is there any chance that Apple will make a white model? (And, also, some will like for instance a blue one, or another color?)

2. atMac macrumors 6502

If it is based off of the current MacBook design then I would love one.

3. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

How about a poll? I, for one, would love to have a white one. :cool:

4. mortenandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

A poll about colors - a good idea!

If one who knows how to make a poll here on this question, please do so, because I don't know how to do it. It is a great idea, I think.

5. wingfaith macrumors newbie

yea... i really like the white as well. But i'm not too sure about the cosmetic side of it for long term usage ..

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    black,white,or any other,AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN,you'll do well to get your backlit
    keyboard back, let alone colors. That's for the "DELL's" of the world:eek::rolleyes:

7. lafemmme macrumors newbie

Spoken like a true Apple dog.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Have you seen the rumored black MBA bottom piece? Of course, it's all a rumor and just hearsay but I'd love to have the option of a black MBA. I have the black matte 'Book right now and love it. Definitely wanting a matte air though.

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Are we talking white polycarbonate? Or white anodized aluminum? I think the latter would be pretty neat, if done correctly.

We all have to realize that while the current Apple fad is beautifully crafted silver-colored aluminum (erm, aluminum-colored aluminum?), it's unlikely that Apple would keep that look forever, ya' know?

So what's next? What's down the road in 3, 5, 10 years? It'd just make sense to have colored anodized aluminum, with white and black being among those color options. That's what I see happening, at least.

Every popular product goes through aesthetic changes to remain popular. People need to see changes in looks, as it's a simple way to help define its technological advancement. That's why cars subtly change every year, that's why Facebook changes its layout every year, and that's why Apple will eventually move away from the basic aluminum color.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Mmm... I don't really know about that. When dealing with electronics, especially Macs, you can't really stray too far from the baseline model in terms of aesthetics. Apple is known for their brand. Their title. The looks of the machines is a large part of what makes Apple products so desirable.

iPhone: 2 colors. MacBooks: Silver and White with a couple of black models thrown in for kicks. think about it, what would it do to their logo, their entire look if they started selling pink, red, blue macbooks? It would trivialize the entire thing.

When you go into a business office you see glass, chrome, metal, stone. Those are materials that make up the Apple store itself. Wood, glass, metal, chrome. By adding more and more colors, you reduce the effect of being pristine. You start confusing customers into wondering what that is exactly. When you see an aluminum laptop you "instantly" know it's a MacBook Pro or Air. Instantly. And that goes with anyone. You see a red, blue, yellow, or flowery laptop what do you think? Dell.

Apple doesn't want to be dell. They don't want to have "Dell" ideas. Sometimes differentiating yourself means staying the same while everyone "else" changes.

Apple makes some of the best looking electronic devices out there. In the world. They know this. They know that it helps sales. Do you think they would just change for the sake of changing? Do you think Facebook would ever stop being blue? BP green? McDonalds yellow and red? Colors define a product and when you pick your colors you define who you are.

But yea, aside from all of that, a lot of high end products often only come in black, white, or silver. Other colors are somewhat gaudy and would intrude on the entire "look" of a room or the place it's in.

11. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

I agree that limiting the colours available does keep the professional look and appeal. But i don't think that offering black or white along with the current silver would affect this.

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That was my point. That they shouldn't have anything other than black, white, or aluminum/silver.

13. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

I was agreeing with you

14. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Oooh...

*high fives*

15. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I would totally take a white MBA. First in line. Would the polycarbonite make it lighter too?

16. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

It probably would, but would you really want such a thin notebook made out of polycarbonate? I don't imagine it would be very durable.

I'm sure it will stay aluminum whether they color them or not. :apple:

17. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

Yeah I don't think the polycarbonate would be a good idea, not strong enough, but a powder coated (white or black) aluminum one would be great.

18. macjacky11 macrumors member

I think I will prefer a Black one to be honest!

19. MacJones macrumors 6502

After owning a white macbook I'll never buy another white tech product. The aluminum Apple uses now is awesome.

20. wingfaith macrumors newbie

the mac community is expanding exponentially, can you even imagine walking into a library with everyone using the same alum mbp??? i can because it happens to me everyday in the university library. It's so damn annoying.

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Ahh, I'd LOVE a white Macbook Air, or for any Mac for that matter, really :D

I'd definitely buy one in a heartbeat.

22. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Haha, I used to feel the same way at a local coffee shop down the street from my dorm. Them I got one. Now I know why.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, to get the BL back would be nice; my current MBA (Rev C SSD) has one and (as had my MBP) and I must admit it is something that really appeals to me.

Agree up to a point; I think it is more than simply the "professional look and appeal" (well-crafted and designed though that always is with Apple); aluminium is stronger than polycarbonate compounds and this allowed Apple to design and develop a really light but strong laptop.

I agree

24. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Why not take it apart and paint it? Or are you talking about a white plastic MBA? For as thin as the MBA is, I don't think plastic would suffice as a case. You're better off just painting it.

Check out Colorware.com

25. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just skinned my 11" in icarbon white. Looks amazing. I did my 13" MBA in black