White MacBook Battery Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fenskezen, Mar 12, 2011.

1. fenskezen macrumors regular

I have a question re: my early 2008 white macbook 13"...
    I bought it at Best Buy and have a 3 year warranty which will expire this month. My warranty will cover one replacement battery, even if the original battery is fine. If I get my replacement battery from Best Buy but don't use it right away will it ruin it? Also, is the battery easy to replace when I finally decide to do it? My batter is in good shape now and there is no reason to replace it, other than...I have a free one coming. I never thought this little battery would last this long and bought the warranty figuring I would need a battery by now! My poor PC loving hubby is buying his third battery in the same amount of time.
    I love my little old macbook and will keep it as long as I can. By far the best computer I have ever owned.
    Thanks in advance:apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you store it according to the recommended temperature and charge it shouldn't degrade too much. The battery is removable, isn't it? In which case replacing it is very easy.

3. fenskezen thread starter macrumors regular

That is what I am not sure of...can I remove it? After a quick internet search, I get mixed messages.

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Don't have one myself, but can you remove the bottom? once that's done the battery should be easy to replace. (steve job talked about removing the bottom to replace the battery in a 2008 keynote)

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

All you need is a coin....

It is an early 2008 White MacBook - not a Unibody. Just turn the battery release with a coin and the battery will pop out.

I don't understand why Best Buy will give you another battery under warranty if there is nothing wrong with the battery that is in the MacBook ????

6. fenskezen thread starter macrumors regular

This looks like a good place for me to start...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2037

I love the apple website, should have went straight there.
    I bought a mac because I am pretty much a non tech type. They just go and go..I am just a basic internet surfer, emailer...watch some videos..oh, and of course, all of my recipes are on here...! This was my first Mac ( bought it new in 2008. I will never go back. I have just open the thing up, run a few updates when asked and never had to fuss. Everything is 100 percent easier than the PC I switched from. Even my true blue PC husband will agree that my little mac is a far better in that respect.
    OK that is not what this thread is about...too much coffee!
    :eek:
    But then again, it's nice to say "hey" in a forum.
    Thank you!

7. fenskezen thread starter macrumors regular

Looks easy! Even I can do that...LOL

As for the warranty, I paid 250.00 for it. It covers everything and the big selling point is/was that you get one battery during the warranty period. So they always say mark your calendar for just before your warranty expires and at least get your free battery. My last two laptops came with this warranty and I did just this. But they were not macs and actually needed the battery by then. So ...when I get the warranty, I always figure I get the warranty and the free battery. Kind of off sets the price.

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Personally, I would go for the new battery. Even though the battery might be fine right now, I guess it had a few cycles of charging already. So I would think (but I might be wrong) that a new battery will last longer then the one you have right now.

But then again, you might have been lucky with a good battery, and get a bad battery that will degrade much faster.