White MacBook - Black Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by northy124, Jul 17, 2009.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hey guys,

Today my MacBook started to dim the screen after I had left it for a while and undimmed it, I'm not sure why this is happening.

So far I can only fix the situation if close the MacBook up a couple of times.

Could this be a hardware problem which is signalling the end of my MacBook's life? or is it software which can be fixed?

Northy

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you go to System Preferences>Energy Saver, try unchecking "Automatically reduce the display brightness before sleep." Or if I misunderstood a bit, you could also go to System Preferences>Display and uncheck "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes". See if either of those solves the issue for you :)

3. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

It isn't that as it goes fully black :(

I have left it turned off for a few hours today and it seems to be not going black since turning it on (it had gone black a lot of the time when I turned it on :( )

I know this will happen again but I can't figure out why???

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you still have AppleCare on the MacBook, you could try bringing it into the Genius Bar. Have them test the computer to see if they can find out what the issue is. If the display is blinking black and then back to normal, it does sound like a hardware problem.

5. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

It doesn't blink it is like I open it 2 seconds fully lit, then black I have to close it and same happens a few more times then it is fine :(

I don't have Apple Care as last time I spoke to Apple regarding a hardware fault (which they should cover) they annoyed me so much I said screw you lot I don't need Apple care, it appears I now do :(

6. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

The screen seems to be black and if I shine a light at the screen I can see everything, if I plug it into an external it also works.

According to this, it is a loose connection between MacBook and Screen, but I can't work out where to press down and I have pressed everywhere to no avail :(

I have however been able to get it to level 1 brightness if I go higher it blacks out completely :(