White Macbook button problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abta1, Apr 17, 2012.

1. abta1 macrumors 6502

I have a white macbook from 2008 with a button that no longer depresses in the middle and only slightly at the sides. It's no longer covered by warranty, can I still take it into an Apple store for them to look at it?

2. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

There may be something lodged under it. I'm not quite sure if the Apple store would be of help, but it would not hurt to bring it in, in any case.

A quick google search lead me to this demonstration of key removal on the white Macbook:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--mfTViQVM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QhlpFIrIw0

You may want to attempt this, at your own risk to check under your key for debris. It's a fairly simple process and will allow you to see if there's anything under your key, or if the rubber piece is placed correctly.

Good luck.

3. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah sorry what I meant was the trackpad button not the keyboard keys.

4. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Sorry about that, I probably should have picked that up from your wording definitely. Assuming you are on OS X Lion or the menubar is similar on the version you're on: If you haven't already you can turn on the "tap to click" by clicking the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner and selecting "System Preferences" and navigating to the trackpad settings and clicking on the "Point & Click" tab- from there you can check "Tap to click" as a quick fix in the meantime.

Hopefully a user with more experience gets back to you.

Good luck.

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

My guess is that your battery is defective.

Sometimes as the battery dies, it starts to expand as the chemicals break down.
    As it expands, it pushes up on the bottom of the track pad.

If so, then you need a new battery. $130 from Apple.

If I'm right, then this is something you definitely want to do sooner than later.
    A bulging battery can leak acid, explode, catch fire, or damage the inside of the Mac as it expands into other parts.

6. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I took the battery out but couldn't see any visual clue of it being in trouble.

With the battery out pressing the trackpad button still wasn't as free as I would expect, is it possible that something got under it?