White Macbook Buzzing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MikeMacD, Jan 11, 2009.

1. MikeMacD macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I purchased my Macbook in August 2007 and have no problems until Christmas this year.

It started buzzing and I wasn't sure what it was, until a week later I got a folder with a question mark at log-in, from what I understand my hard-drive died. I replaced the hard-drive myself within a few minutes, very easy and no problems, and it runs perfectly.

It's been two weeks and it's already buzzing again. I take very good care of my Macbook but I do transport it from class and back everyday.

It's buzzing about 30-50% of the time. You can make it stop by putting a bit of pressure on a key, or beside the trackpad. Placing both hands on the keyboard, I can feel the vibration originating around the 6 7 Y U keys the most.

What should I do? I'm very concerned, and annoyed.

Thank you everyone in advance.

- Mike.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Unfortunately, it sounds like you got another bad drive. Contact the drive manufacturer (or even the place you bought it), they should replace it for you.

The first thing you need to do is back up - right now.

3. MikeMacD thread starter macrumors newbie

You know what, I would usually agree right away, but listen to these two possibilities.

For some reason / over time / whatever reason, my slot where you use a coin or screwdriver to open the battery part has become imperfect, kinda pushed in and sticking out. It's had ware and tare.

Just now, I put a folded towel underneath of it and since I've posted it hasn't made a peep.

Do you think its just the bottom of my laptop or that slot creating the noise?

4. MikeMacD thread starter macrumors newbie

And I have had everything backed up forever, I have a 1 TB external with everything on it.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Possibly.

Can you try positioning the computer to where you hear the buzzing, then place your finger on the slot? Does the buzzing stop?

Congrats, you are one of the few today.

6. MikeMacD thread starter macrumors newbie

It started buzzing on the towel .. damnit.

If I lift the laptop from the bottom only, essentially tipping it, it stops buzzing at the same time, about 35 degrees, everytime.

The coin-slot thing definitely isn't the problem though.

This is so retarded!

What is wrong with my computer! If I rock it back and forth, it stops then buzzes, stops, then buzzes.

Is it only the hard drive that could be problem?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have a disc in the optical drive?

8. MikeMacD thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't unfortunately.

And to think about it. Hopefully it's not something else.

The hard-drive is nowhere near the area under the 6 7 Y U keys, it's below the right side of the trackpad.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is a fan up there, it may be loose/have something in it. Take it to the Apple store.

Good news is that your HD seems to be fine.

10. MikeMacD thread starter macrumors newbie

If I don't have a protection plan or anything .. what do they usually cost to look at or fix this type of thing? Like I said I take very good care of my things, but I'm a student on a budget and the closest Apple Store is an hour away :(

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't know what they charge to look at it, but if you feel daring and want to save some $, then head over to ifixit.com, they have disassembly instructions so you could check out the fan yourself.

12. MikeMacD thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow..

Okay.. I think I'm going to call the Apple Store and try and score some free advice. Since I'm at school, I'm an addition 2.5 hours away from the store.

I'll see what to do from there.

I'm hoping it's only a fan issue. Hopefully it keeps cooling my Macbook .. cause that could lead to major issues if the fan stops, won't it? lol.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Absolutely.:D

[​IMG]

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

LOL!!! :D yea, get it checked out. If that happened when it was on my lap... I would very very very extremely pissed off. You could imagine the bodily harm it could have done... :D:D:D:D:D:D

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually, that was a battery fire, I don't think that would really happen.