White Macbook - Charger has a cut and sparks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Potomac, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Potomac macrumors member

Here at my LAS (local Apple store) with my White Macbook charger that has a minor nick in it (that I didn't do nor do I know how it was done). If you plug it in and move the cord slightly, the exposed wires will spark. I've also had numerous other charging issues with this charger before. The computer and charger are still under the one year warranty with about 1 and a half months left and no AC. This charger is not abused nor is the computer. My LAS has quite a record of me coming in complaining about the charger not charging but once it sits unplugged from the computer and the wall for about 10 minutes, it works fine. In addition to that, I've had plenty of other issues with this charger and all have been within the one year warranty period.

I have an appointment for Thursday but I thought I would come by this evening since I started sparking this afternoon. I was told that since the cord/charger didn't actually catch on fire, they can't do anything about it even though the thing almost caught my kitchen table and table cloth on fire.

Should I demand a replacement from the manager or should I just fork over the $80 for a new charger?

Thanks.

2. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Pay the $80 or whatever it is and buy a new power adapter. Apple didn't ship you a power adapter with a nicked cord, and regardless of whether or not you know how it happened, it's still your fault.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is what it comes down to. Apple isn't at fault, and they are not responsible to replace a cord that was accidentally damaged, no matter how it happened unless it's a defect in manufacturing. From your description, this isn't the case. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this one is on you, and that's exactly what Apple will tell you.

3. Potomac thread starter macrumors member

SHIFTLife - Thanks for the reply. I figured I would have to pony up the 70 or 80 bucks but I just wanted to check with the experts.

No offense taken at your post. I was expecting to be told it would be on me anyway but, again, figured there is no harm is asking here.

For now, my simple electrical tape fix is doing the job but I don't really trust it for long term use so I'll likely pick a new one up on Thursday.

Thanks again.

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Well, it's not like if there's much to loose anyhow. You can try putting a flammable liquid, purel would be a good choice, where it sparks and then shorting the cord with a resistor. :rolleyes:

Mind you, actually fixing it shouldn't be all that hard. Just cut the bad piece out, solder everything back together and put some shrink wrap...