White MacBook corners cracked?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by travel4fun, Oct 26, 2010.

1. travel4fun macrumors member

Hi,

I'm a happy owner of a white MacBook model A1181 from 2007. The only problem is that the plastic where I rest my wrists when I'm writing is cracked.

It this a problem Apple will solve on a 3 years old MacBook? I have heard that Apple has acknowledged the cracks as a known issue. Is that true?

Thanks...

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ah, cracks in the palmrests are a common problem among plasitc white MacBooks. Apple usually replace them for free - However after you get it fixed or replaced you should buy some special (but cheap) palmrest pads.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think the cracking was caused by a design flaw.

4. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

Correction! They are a common problem with the non unibody models. The late 09 Unibody models onwards are not affected by this problem anymore. The only way you will see cracks on these unibody models will be because the owner didn't take care of his/her MacBook like they should have.

5. Nahmeanz macrumors regular

it's a known problem. bring it to an Apple Store and they will fix it in half an hour, they have parts in stock to do so. i just got mine fixed at the Genius Bar yesterday.

6. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I am gonna test this out and see if it works tmrw my macbook is kinda having the spider cracks all around the thing and the underside as well eeek

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

See bolded correction

8. Orree macrumors newbie

Did it with no problems in an Apple Store, very fast service.

9. kopite19 macrumors regular

I need to take mine in too. Palm rest cracking symmetrically on both sides, quite cool, but if I spill anything it's going straight through the cracks onto the logic board. I take it the keyboard is replaced as well then...which is handy as a key has fallen off on mine, which is my fault and I'm happy to pay for that...

Also, sorry to thread-jack, does anyone know if they are still replacing swollen batteries? It's actually damaged my MacBook as it jammed the locking mechanism and snapped the coin-turn part off before releasing...

10. skynoodle macrumors newbie

hi,

i am having the same problem with the crack, does it cost anything to repair it?

11. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

From what I've read and heard from others I think you just show up, give them the MacBook and Apple fixes it. I do not believe there is a charge for this.

12. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Have had mine fixed twice free of charge.

13. Abscissa macrumors regular

Yeah, apple did mine for free. They replaced the screen bezel, the palm rests, keyboard and trackpad no charge. I have a thread with pictures of everything for comparison and the receipt if they tell you no.